Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I cant find the ABS relay (pics included)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I cant find the ABS relay (pics included)

Sorry for the HUGE pics.

I have a 1990 M3

I was looking for the ABS over voltage relay to try to get rid of the damned ABS light. I looked at a bunch of posts describing it yet I was lost.

Here are some pics if someone could MS paint me where it is and repost it that would be great.

Here we go !

Pic 1 (I took the big plug off to make it clearer

Pic 2 (what is that orange thing?)

Pic 3 (is this it???)

Last edited by BoxFlares; 01-07-2004, 04:17 PM.

I fixed my ABS light the old fashioned way.. took out the bulb, and while I was in the instrument cluster area, removed the brake pad sensor light too!

The Chuck giveth, and the Chuck taketh away

Comment

yes but I would like to acutally HAVE abs.

Comment

Dang, I was looking for it yesterday and couldn't find it! Let me know what you find, because I need to replace the same relay.

Hmm, is your third picture the one? Here is a pic of the ABS relay off of bavarianautosport.com. Where was that located?:
        Last edited by Bryan; 01-07-2004, 06:05 PM.
        Bryan K.
        Texas A&M Formula SAE

Comment

Usually the ABS relay on earlier cars is a metal relay that's "clipped" onto the top of the ABS control unit.
          I've heard that later cars had the relay moved inside the ABS pump (or was it the control unit?).

I believe that orange box you see is the control unit for the airbags.

Comment

the relay I took a pic of has a clip on the back of it.

does anyone know the part nubmer that is listed on it?

16 89 1 372 719

Comment

hmm dealer told me it was part number 34 52 0 005 192

Comment

I am having this exact problem where my abs light stays on, so a friend of mine let me have his abs relay off of a 325is and it was silver and it had five teeth. Thinking that the black one was the relay i pulled it out and replaced it the with the silver one. The car started fine but for some odd reason the high beams stayed on and when i tried to turn them off my rpm and gas guage die out. I then replaced the black one back into its place and i noticed that it had four teeth. Thinking everything would go back to normal i started the car but the high beams still stayed on and the battry light is on. So now im stuck and trying to figure out what in the world is the problem. Any ideas, suggestions, comments?? Oh and the funny thing is the abs light isn't on anymore.

Comment

I posted this info to the SIG just recently, as I had installed a new engine harness and then had a couple problems. I guess you didnt
                  see it. I saw your post there today.

Anway, the thing you are holding in your hand is a time
                  controlled relay for the seatbelts...

1990 M3 do not have an overvoltage relay. The ABS is powered
                  directly from the main relay. The wire from the main relay
                  runs to pin 20 on the C101 motor connector (on the engine
                  harness under your harness cover, next to diagnostic connector.
                  you have to puss the harness cover to get to that).

You have 2 relais under the cover of the ABS pump.
                  You could try exchanging those with some known good ones to
                  see if your light goes out, or try your relais on another
                  car to see if that cars ABS light comes on. Have to crank
                  engine to see if light goes out.

Next, pull the ABS cable connector of the ABS ECU.
                  Jack the car at each wheel, and have someone rotate the wheel.
                  Then do an AC voltage measurement at the respective ABS pin
                  on the connector. You can also check resistance of each sensors
                  pin to ground. should see 900 to 1000 Ohm. If you see
                  an AC voltage (it increases as you spin the wheels faster and
                  faster), then sensors are working.

Also, depress brake and insure that brake pedal switch signal
                  is reaching the ABS connector.

I dont have all the pin numbers memorized, but I did write them
                  in the post to the SIG some weeks ago.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
                    Dang, I was looking for it yesterday and couldn't find it! Let me know what you find, because I need to replace the same relay.

Hmm, is your third picture the one? Here is a pic of the ABS relay off of bavarianautosport.com. Where was that located?:

Have the same item ordered and cant find where its located. Anybody knows?

Comment

it should be part# 3452-000-192 - cost-37.97$
                      it is a 5 pin relay- can't tell fom your pic,if the black relay has 4 or 5 pins. if the connector has 5 pins then you are in business
                      that is the right location of the relay.
                      i belive the earlier cars came with a metal 5 pin relay

Comment

My abs light was also on and my relay was in that mess of wires. The relay looked just like the one in your picture. It was $30 for a new relay and the light went away. I like ABS.

- gabor
                        October 1987 build date.

Comment

the only relay I could find in my 88 is the aluminum one. would this black relay work?

Comment

Or would anyone know where I could find this black relay located? I have the relay but I dont know where its located.Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by atan888 View Post
                              the only relay I could find in my 88 is the aluminum one. would this black relay work?
                              Originally posted by atan888 View Post
                              Or would anyone know where I could find this black relay located? I have the relay but I dont know where its located.Thanks in advance.
                              Hi Alvin,

If you remove the lower drivers footwell trim panel (under the steering wheel) on your '88- you will see a long metal silver box (the ABS computer approx. 10x7)- just to the left of the steering column. On top of the ABS computer is the metal (aluminum) ABS/ overvoltage relay clipped to it. That is the relay you need to swap out with your new one. If I am not mistaken, the new relays are made of black plastic (no longer having a metal/ aluminum case).

HTH,
                              Don McAdams
                              1988 E30 M3
                              "E30 M3 Owner & Enthusiast"

www.McAdamsAutoSport.com

Comment

Working...
                              X