Dog Leg Trans Installation Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Leg Trans Installation Questions

I just installed a dogleg transmission in my M3. When I went to attach the shifter arm bracket to the two posts on the top rear of the transmission I found that the holes in the posts were not threaded at all. Also, instead of them being 8mm they are 10mm. Has anyone else had this happen? If so, how did you correct the situation?

TIA
    Last edited by Toast; 02-15-2009, 03:01 PM.

Are you tying to use the US bolts to mount the shifter carrier? if so, those don't work...the Euro boxes used 2 very (I mean very) long bolts, that go all the way through the tranny openings and then are secured with 2 nuts on the other side.

If you can't wait for the actual parts from the dealer, the easiest thing is to go to Lowes or the like and find some bolts that will fit.

Nick
    Last edited by Nikos; 02-15-2009, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Yes, I am trying to use the US bolts. Does the long bolt just use a standard nut? The ETK shows the bolt going into some kind of support bracket - different than the transmission are bracket. It's part # 25111202842.

Comment

I used a standard nut with a locking washer on mine as did a couple of friends of mine. No issues over the years.

Amazingly enough, this one item has caught 3 of us off guard...just when you think you are done...
        :chaired:

Nick

Comment

Question for those of you who have this...

How do you remove the shifter carrier arm if it comes time to do so? With the US transmission it's relatively easy to undo the two bolts and drop the whole carrier without dropping the transmission.
          1987 Euro M3, Jet Black
          "BMW M cars: technically advanced, beautifully engineered, and the choice for total gits" -- Top Gear, Summer 2008

Comment

Not sure if this helps or not, but here is a picture showing the bracket with the long bolts.

Jake

Comment

Jake,

Thanks! That's pretty much what I figured I was going to have to do. I guess the fun part will be undoing the rear trans mount so I can lower the trans enough to get a nut and stubby wrench on top.

Brad

Comment

Originally posted by Toast View Post
                Jake,

Thanks! That's pretty much what I figured I was going to have to do. I guess the fun part will be undoing the rear trans mount so I can lower the trans enough to get a nut and stubby wrench on top.

Brad

I'm not following here --- what's the issue w/ the long vs short bolts, or whatever?

Me =
                -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

See the bracket on the top of the trans? It is held in place by 2 long bolts that go all the way through the case and then have a nut on them to secure everything. On a US box the holes are threaded and the bolts are shorter
                  "Never lift"

Comment

Originally posted by jordantii View Post
                    See the bracket on the top of the trans? It is held in place by 2 long bolts that go all the way through the case and then have a nut on them to secure everything. On a US box the holes are threaded and the bolts are shorter
                    But is the bracket the same?

Or are there CR-specific parts that are needed to install a CR tranny?
                    -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

Not a question of the bracket. The trans case is different. It is not threaded, hence the need for the long bolts.
                      "Never lift"

Comment

Originally posted by jordantii View Post
                        Not a question of the bracket. The trans case is different. It is not threaded, hence the need for the long bolts.
                        I get it - thanks!

What are the Part #'s for the long bolts + nuts?
                        -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

Look it up on realoem.com or just buy some at the local hardware store.

I seriously considered tapping mine so I could use short bolts without nuts. I've seen some dogleg boxes with the shorter bolts. I figured it was a newer design or something.
                          1987 Euro M3, Jet Black
                          "BMW M cars: technically advanced, beautifully engineered, and the choice for total gits" -- Top Gear, Summer 2008

Comment

i just installed a CR box with the long bolts... This *definitely* would have caught me off guard but was working with Baxter E30 who's been through this rodeo. You can reach up and put a locking nut on the end with the trans in place... it's not easy... but it can be done. We used a two person method with me (smaller hands) reaching up over the top of the transmission and first putting the locking nut on the end and then holding my ratchet still with the other person tightening using a ratchet on the other end of the bolts.
                            Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 02-16-2009, 07:02 PM.
                            Mark Williams
                            Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Thor View Post
                              Look it up on realoem.com or just buy some at the local hardware store.

I seriously considered tapping mine so I could use short bolts without nuts. I've seen some dogleg boxes with the shorter bolts. I figured it was a newer design or something.

I would strongly recommend against doing this. I've seen it done before and inevitably you end up stripping the threads in the soft alum. Could try helicoil or sym maybe but seems like more work than nec.

All I use is a nut and lock washer. Get them both on the bolt and hand tighten using your finger to hold the nut. Then stick a long skinny flathead screw driver between the nut and the side of the tranny and twist the screw driver to wedge in place. It works pretty well and I've never had a lose nut in the 25+ times I've had to disassemble for one reason or another. I actually had a dedicated screwdriver that’s a bit bent along the shaft to make it easier. (ghetto I know but man it works so well in this sit.)

Comment

Working...
                              X