Gauge wiring instructions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauge wiring instructions?

Does anyone have a good detailed instructions to install a VDO electrical oil pressure gauge. I did a search and never saw anything with a detail.
    "Racing is like life, what happens before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen (Le Mans)

Check around in here, good info:

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/tech.htm

- Daniel

Comment

What details are you looking for? You just need to wire switched 12V, Ground, and the signal from the sender to the gauge. For the gauge illumination you need the wiring for the instrument lights. I installed my gauge set in place of the ashtray just in front of the shifter and I able to tap all the wires from the console area there. There is a small bulb for the stock cigarette lighter so you can tap into those wires for illumination. If I remember correctly I believe I got switched 12V by tapping into the power window switch wiring.

Here are some photos of my install, hope they help:

Dominic

Comment

Dom where did you run the main wire from the sender to the gauge, through the fire wall at?
        "Racing is like life, what happens before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen (Le Mans)

Comment

FWIW, I would avoid at all costs mounting the sender directly to the engine (vibration). I did that initially and it only functioned for a few months at a time before vibration killed it. I went through three senders before I realized the problem....

Now I run a braided steel line from the engine to the sender, and the sender is mounted on the chassis. No more problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
            FWIW, I would avoid at all costs mounting the sender directly to the engine (vibration). I did that initially and it only functioned for a few months at a time before vibration killed it. I went through three senders before I realized the problem....

Now I run a braided steel line from the engine to the sender, and the sender is mounted on the chassis. No more problems.
            +1. I killed mine on the less-buzzy M42 motor.

Comment

+2 Mine seldom reads correctly. I think it's because of the vibration or the way it's mounted. I also read that the sender should be mounted upright within 45 degrees to function properly.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
              85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
              91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Originally posted by StevesAlpine View Post
                Dom where did you run the main wire from the sender to the gauge, through the fire wall at?
                I passed the sender wire through a grommet behind the coolant tank that is accessible behind the glovebox.

Here's a shot from inside the car. You can see that the wire (the white one) goes in to the right of the main harness. There was actually a little pointy rubber section that I poked a hole through just for this wire. It looks like it was specifically molded for that purpose. I just used something sharp and stuck it through from the inside. You'll see what I mean when you take a close look at it.

Here are some shots from the engine bay:

Also, I do agree with the other guys about trying to mount the sender not directly attached to the engine. Aside from the vibration issue is was also a PITA to mount it directly to the oil filter mounting block (in place of the stock oil pressure switch). I had to bend the dipstick bracket a little bit and just barely got it to fit. So far I have been lucky that it has continued to work. I've had it mounted for about 1 1/2 years and it's been through about 7 track events in addition to my daily driving. When I installed it I did think about mounting it remotely, but in the end I took a gamble that has worked out ok so far.
                Dominic

Comment

Dominic,

Did you make the gauge console that replaced the ashtray/lighter part? I keep looking for something just like that but it seems not to exist. It looks great and preserves the one usefull storage spot in the car.

Thanks,
                  Hank

Comment

Great pics Dom... thank you very much. That is exactly what I was needing to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Cohn View Post
                      Dominic,

Did you make the gauge console that replaced the ashtray/lighter part? I keep looking for something just like that but it seems not to exist. It looks great and preserves the one usefull storage spot in the car.

Thanks,
                      Hank
                      Hank, I bought the gauge holder from http://parkerperformance.com/. It is item #M000115. They also have an option with 3 gauge pods instead of 2.

Originally posted by StevesAlpine View Post
                      Great pics Dom... thank you very much. That is exactly what I was needing to see.
                      No problem, glad I could help.
                      Dominic

Comment

Dominic,

Thanks for the link to Parker. I've spent hours looking for just such a console. They need to do a better job of search engine optimzation. I really appreciate the info!

Thanks again,
                        Hank

Comment

How/where did you guys mount the sender to the body?

Comment

Working...
                          X