Replacing door lock but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing door lock but...

Is it possible to replace the door lock but still be able to use the same key?

Before i bought my car, it has been broken into and the lock was beat up pretty bad. looked bad but was never a priority because it still worked. Now, when i was working on my car today i noticed that it has now failed completely.

So, i really don't want to have to carry around multiple keys to unlock differnt doors. is there anything that i can do?

Thank you,
    M3Shark

Originally posted by M3shark View Post
    Is it possible to replace the door lock but still be able to use the same key?

Before i bought my car, it has been broken into and the lock was beat up pretty bad. looked bad but was never a priority because it still worked. Now, when i was working on my car today i noticed that it has now failed completely.

So, i really don't want to have to carry around multiple keys to unlock differnt doors. is there anything that i can do?

Thank you,
    M3Shark
    Just did this last week. Buy the locks from BMW and then take them with your old key to a locksmith. They will rekey them.
    Several E30 M3's.

More than I need but not as many as I want....

Comment

Searching through some old thread that i some how missed and came across this part number (51219556313) for a replacement lock cylinder. looks when you put it togeather you match it to your old one and can still use your key as usual.

I think i will pick one of those kits up and the rubber grommet that surrounds the key hole and try it. I am not sure if that is actually the whole problem though as if i lock the door by hand(from inside) then the inside door handle locks but not the outside door handle.

but i know that lock is busted as i can not lock it from the outside. so i guess i will start there.

Comment

is 51211865246 the correct part number for the black rubber trim ring that surrounds the door lock? it comes up as a "ROSETTE" in the parts diagram.

thank you.

Comment

what you need is 51 12 9 061 343
          this kit is usually not sold to the public but I could just order it. It has all the parts required to replace your lock AND keep your current key.
          Make sure you leave the key in the lock when taking it apart, that will keep the little spring loaded blades in. Remove key slowly and write down the numbers on the blades. Replace all with the new parts supplied and job done!
          I also has more importantly all the bits to repair the dead locking mechanism (that's why I bought it) and it will work like new.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

you can modify all the door locks of all E30 cars to your key. It's really easy (instead of the ingnition lock). All you have to do is replacing the blades. Sometimes the baldes are used or worn, search on a scrapping for some olds E30's locks.
            There are two different kinds of blades, from the drives lock (with security double lock, half key turn ) and the rest of door's locks.

Comment

Why not just buy a complete set with new locks and keys?

I changed all of mine last year, easy job. Only a bit difficult on the drivers side, but the rest was smooth.
              1987 BMW M3 E30

S50B32 swap thread http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43515

Comment

m

I ran into a pronlem with my driver's door lock. I could'nt lock the door. Turned out the cam on the back of the cylinder was cracked.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by UweM3 View Post
                  this kit is usually not sold to the public but I could just order it. It has all the parts required to replace your lock AND keep your current key.
                  Will this kit work for both drivers side and passenger side?

Comment

One common problem with these cars is the cam on the back of the door lock that actuates the electric locks. The cam either cracks or bends which causes the door lock to either work intermittantly or not at all. If you are fixing the door lock, I recommend you replace the entire unit. If you don't, you will in the near future.
                    Several E30 M3's.

More than I need but not as many as I want....

Comment

There's a thread I posted two years ago. I bought a cylinder rebuild kit. It comes with all blades to rekey to your old specs. Price was about $35 per side. Take the tumbler apart on your kitchen table and concentrate for 15 minutes. That's it.

The rebuild kit is supposedly not-for-the-public, but anyone can buy it. Basically, within one hour you are done, between removing and putting back tumbler in place in the door. Easy task.

The rebuild kit comes with a new cylinder and replaces the locking ball by a locking roller. Much stronger. That's basically a new lock.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                      1989 M3 racecar
                      e39 Touring

Comment

Originally posted by peaceman17 View Post
                        Will this kit work for both drivers side and passenger side?

nope, this is only for the driver side.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Or just order a new coded lock from BMW with proof of ownership and be done

Originally posted by drinaldis
                          I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by UweM3 View Post
                            Make sure you leave the key in the lock when taking it apart, that will keep the little spring loaded blades in. Remove key slowly and write down the numbers on the blades. Replace all with the new parts supplied and job done!
                            I also has more importantly all the bits to repair the dead locking mechanism (that's why I bought it) and it will work like new.
                            Uwe

Is this definitely the right part number? When I searched on RealOEM it did nof find it, I found references to 51219061343 as a rebuild kit is this the one?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...59&hg=41&fg=40

Comment

Yes. Here's a picture of it:

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe..._E095124A.aspx

Comment

Working...
                              X