Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want an E30 M3 to perform similarly to my M Coupe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea i think everyone here has hit the nail on the head.

I would suggest that you stick with the s14 and feel it out. Also, i dont see why everyone automatically thinks of swaping out the s14. Its a great engine!

I would say if you want more power keep the s14 and throw a turbo on it. Then you will outperform the m coupe!
    The E30 M3 Renewed ~ Rebuilt ~ Re-engineered

www.ZeppieriMotorsport.com

E30 M3 Rebuild Thread

Comment

In the Dallas chapter we have an instructor that has a 90 model with over 150k on the engine, stock cams, lightweight flywheel, some suspension and he is amazing on the track! People that drive in his class SWEAR he has a 2.5, or engine swap to be that fast.... "NO WAY he can out run my E36 M3 that much!" We hear it all the time.
      "Racing is like life, what happens before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen (Le Mans)

Comment

Originally posted by StevesAlpine View Post
        In the Dallas chapter we have an instructor that has a 90 model with over 150k on the engine, stock cams, lightweight flywheel, some suspension and he is amazing on the track! People that drive in his class SWEAR he has a 2.5, or engine swap to be that fast.... "NO WAY he can out run my E36 M3 that much!" We hear it all the time.
        Let's be realistic. If you you swap the two drivers mentioned, the E36 driver in the E30would not stand a chance against the instructor in the E36.
        I have overtaken LOADS of E36 M3's, E46 M3's, E46 CSL's, Porsche GT3 on the Ring.
        But this is not bcause I am such a driving god and my E30 M3 is such a superior car, the others just drove rubbish!

Like for like drivers and like for like prepared cars (not a fairly stock CSL against a proper track modded E30 please) you will find it hard to keep up with a E46 CSL and a properly driven GT3 will just disappear on the horizon. (and I bet on many other tracks too)

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking the E30 M3, I own one, I drive one and I love it for what it is. A very good handling car! But compared to the modern stuff it just lacks POWER. The reason you (and so have I) can keep up with much more powerful cars on the straights is down to the momentum you come out of the bends. If you start to accelerate 20-30meter BEVOR Mr. CSL you will be up his tail on the next straight. That this is possible is obviously a credit to the E30 M3's handling which makes it a much more easy and forgiveable car compared to the newer stuff.
        But as soon you meet a Mr. CSL or Mr. GT3 who knows how to floor it properly you will be gone in his mirror.

just my 2p

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

I've driven both cars at speed on track. To make the e30 M3 perform like the M coupe you need to do two things. The first is what others have said...up the HP. The second would be to somehow screw up to balance of the e30....maybe run R-comps on the front and street tires on the rear. :yup:

Although a stock M coupe is brutally fast in a straight line, the car is somewhat twitchy and unpredictable in the corners at speed. I was driving a friend's (who is also a racer) M coupe and he said to "....really push it. I want to see what this car can do." The stock M coupe would be great to use as a drift car. The rear end wanted to step out....well....everywhere.

To be honest, the car scared me. I was going into T5 at Gateway at around 95 mph and the rear end wanted to start coming around unexpectedly. Not a good feeling! BTW, in the next session my friend totalled the car.

So, to recap, add HP and screw up the superb balance of the e30 M3 and you will have similar performance as compared to the M coupe.[oops]
          Damon in STL
          '99 e39 540 Sport 6spd (DD), '88 e30 M3 - GTS2 #72 - Motorcraft Ignition, Volvo Injectors, Thrush Turbo Muffler, Open Source ECU, Aerospace Connectors, Lowes' Polycarbonate, Alumacore Front Splitter and Rear Diffuser, Racer's Tape.

Comment

Originally posted by peak View Post
            I've driven both cars at speed on track. To make the e30 M3 perform like the M coupe you need to do two things. The first is what others have said...up the HP. The second would be to somehow screw up to balance of the e30....maybe run R-comps on the front and street tires on the rear. :yup:

Although a stock M coupe is brutally fast in a straight line, the car is somewhat twitchy and unpredictable in the corners at speed. I was driving a friend's (who is also a racer) M coupe and he said to "....really push it. I want to see what this car can do." The stock M coupe would be great to use as a drift car. The rear end wanted to step out....well....everywhere.

To be honest, the car scared me. I was going into T5 at Gateway at around 95 mph and the rear end wanted to start coming around unexpectedly. Not a good feeling! BTW, in the next session my friend totalled the car.

So, to recap, add HP and screw up the superb balance of the e30 M3 and you will have similar performance as compared to the M coupe.[oops]
            Well said. I have owned both and tracked both. Why would you want to have your E30 M3 handle like an M coupe? It already handles better! The M Coupe has many inherrent handling problems. If you want more power, have a 2.7 built.

Comment

The OP is talking about a Z4 M coupe, not a Z3 which has a different rear suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinM View Post
                The OP is talking about a Z4 M coupe, not a Z3 which has a different rear suspension.
                Right you are. Will teach me to read the whole post next time. I have drive the Z4 variat as well. A bullet for sure. Visability stinks. Pretty though.

Comment

I appreciate the advise from everyone.

While I certainly agree that on a track setting, momentum is key, as is driver skill, and an S14 can work quite well.

However, I'm not planning to track the car that often, but rather, drive it around the city where torque is something I've grown accustomed to (I also have a Dinan 3 for daily duty).

I realise that the S14 is the heart and soul of the car in it's purest form, but at the same time, that's not particularly what I'm looking for.

Someone mentioned an S54 swap. I wasn't aware that these were being performed... What's an estimated cost for such a project?

Comment

Originally posted by m3 bavaria View Post
                    What's an estimated cost for such a project?
                    100 MILLION DOLLARS!!!

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Originally posted by noro View Post
                      100 MILLION DOLLARS!!!

That sounds about right. :smile2:

Comment

I appreciate the advise from everyone.

While I certainly agree that on a track setting, momentum is key, as is driver skill, and an S14 can work quite well.

However, I'm not planning to track the car that often, but rather, drive it around the city where torque is something I've grown accustomed to (I also have a Dinan 3 for daily duty).

I realise that the S14 is the heart and soul of the car in it's purest form, but at the same time, that's not particularly what I'm looking for.

Someone mentioned an S54 swap. I wasn't aware that these were being performed... What's an estimated cost for such a project?
                        if you are used to a car with good torque, the S14 may feel a bit underpowered.
                        REV it! Don't be afraid of revving it, use the gears. It all will fall into place. The S14 is unfortunately not a town cruiser you will have to work for enjoyment :smile2:

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Originally posted by UweM3 View Post
                          if you are used to a car with good torque, the S14 may feel a bit underpowered.
                          REV it! Don't be afraid of revving it, use the gears. It all will fall into place. The S14 is unfortunately not a town cruiser you will have to work for enjoyment :smile2:
                          I find I enjoy it(stock 2.3L) much more with 4.45 high lock rear and maxx kit with CF long 18cm runners. Revs, loves to rev, and stays on the cams. In town or on the highway. 2.5L with hot cams is definitely way to go IMO before a swap. I've seen and ridden in swaps(aluminum M52 2.8, and S52 3.2) for highway and autox. Just not my style; gives up the "nimbleness" and "tossability". Never on track though which I"m sure swaps can be killers.
                          Like cobra/vette muscle, anything can stick with enough rubber under it.
                          Photos

Comment

if i did a swap it would probably be this.... IF I did a swap....

I've seen it done a few other times, but this was the first pic I could find.
                            ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook Fan Page - Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by paintpro21 View Post
                              if i did a swap it would probably be this.... IF I did a swap....

I've seen it done a few other times, but this was the first pic I could find.
                              Point taken. That just looks retarded fast. Brain cells collide looking at it. can not compute:noevil:
                              Photos

Comment

shed 350 - 450lbs
                                go standalone with a proper tune
                                sticky tires

Comment

Working...
                                X