Alpha N and Innovate Lc-1 Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha N and Innovate Lc-1 Install

I did some searching and found a few pointers on this install. Just wondering what others have done and how they installed there wiring? Also If I am going to leave the WBo2 in the stock header how would I wire that? Does the DME need a signal wire from the new sensor? If so what wire out of the 3 is the signal wire to the DME?

TIA Brandon

Are you using Maxx? If so the LC-1 will wire right into the Maxx harness. Here are instructions:

http://www.maxx-automotive.com/ftp/a...-0-070900e.pdf

If you plan to remove the stock O2 sensor then you can enable closed loop lambda control on the Maxx unit. Remember to always keep this feature turned off when tuning. Are you also installing a gauge? I highly recommend it and I would never run Alpha-N on my own engine without one. I'm using the LC-1 and Innovate XD-16 gauge. The price on their standalone gauge kit has come down recently.

Comment

You do not to run closed loop in the MAXX Unit if you feed the Narrowband Sim signal back to the BMW ECU, the BMW ECU does a better job of running closed loop Lambda control.
      MAXX closed loop is only used when OEM ECU isn't providing this feature.

If you don't feed Narrowband Sim to the MAXX, it can't run closed loop anyway. The Wideband signal is no good, it's only for display, datalogging and manual tuning aid.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
        Are you using Maxx? If so the LC-1 will wire right into the Maxx harness. Here are instructions:

http://www.maxx-automotive.com/ftp/a...-0-070900e.pdf

If you plan to remove the stock O2 sensor then you can enable closed loop lambda control on the Maxx unit. Remember to always keep this feature turned off when tuning. Are you also installing a gauge? I highly recommend it and I would never run Alpha-N on my own engine without one. I'm using the LC-1 and Innovate XD-16 gauge. The price on their standalone gauge kit has come down recently.

yes i am running maxx. i didnt get a gauge yet but will very soon

Originally posted by UweM3 View Post
        You do not to run closed loop in the MAXX Unit if you feed the Narrowband Sim signal back to the BMW ECU, the BMW ECU does a better job of running closed loop Lambda control.
        MAXX closed loop is only used when OEM ECU isn't providing this feature.

If you don't feed Narrowband Sim to the MAXX, it can't run closed loop anyway. The Wideband signal is no good, it's only for display, datalogging and manual tuning aid.

what wire out of the 3 pin is the signal wire to the dme?

thanks

Comment

if you read the manual of the LC1 it will tell you the colour.

EDIT, just looked the MAXX isnstructions up and I suggest you do this as well, c'mon dude it can't get any more easy than tis.
          Last edited by UweM3; 04-08-2009, 08:06 PM.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Originally posted by UweM3 View Post
            if you read the manual of the LC1 it will tell you the colour.

EDIT, just looked the MAXX isnstructions up and I suggest you do this as well, c'mon dude it can't get any more easy than tis.
            give me a break i made the post before i seen the instructions but thanks anyway

Comment

Uwe is right about the ECU being better at controlling closed loop. Sorry for any confusion as I have things wired up differently since I retained the stock O2 sensor. I forgot the NBsim signal from a WBO2 will reach the ECU via the black wire on the Maxx harness. For some reason I was thinking that wire only went to the Maxx unit.

In my case I left the yellow NBsim wire of the LC-1 unconnected since my ECU is getting the NB signal via the stock wiring. I unplug the stock O2 sensor to tune. In your case you will want to connect the yellow wire on the LC-1 to the black wire of the Maxx harness. This is done at pin 6 in connector X3. However, if Iím not mistaken this will require a switch somewhere to cut off the NB signal during tuning.

This is an easy install and documented well. However, I do have to admit Iíve also gotten confused a few times (see above). It never hurts to ask the question.

Comment

thanks for all the help the install went great tonight. i used the a/c line opening to run the wires

Comment

Working...
                X