popping sound from steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• popping sound from steering

My car suddenly started to make a popping sound as i turn the steering wheel, it seems to be a t specific locations as i turn, and as it comes back....any input?

thanx in advance
    rob
    "A wolf in wolves clothing"
    Tiff Needell

I've seen top mount bearings develop binding spots that sort of pop. Same with ball joints. I've actually seen two where the inner sleeve, inside the ball joint, would bind up and pop.

One was due to an accident where the impact deformed the sleeve. It wouldn't allow it to pivot around and out of "that spot" since both the sleeve and ball (or socket, I'm not sure) were equally deformed. Another I believed to be due to wear. Just something to look for.

HTH,
    Jake Larsen

Comment

Re: popping sound from steering

Originally posted by TheRealM3
      My car suddenly started to make a popping sound as i turn the steering wheel, it seems to be a t specific locations as i turn, and as it comes back....any input?

thanx in advance
      rob
      Take a look at your front swaybar endlinks, both where they mount on the strut tubes and at the swaybar end -- they could be shot (rubber boot torn and bearings bad), they could just be loose, or the tops could be tearing-out from the struts.
      Jefrem Iwaniw

Comment

thanx for the replys, im gonna look into it today
        Tiff Needell

Comment

ok fixed it, when the clamp on the heater core was being replaced something was out of place and the steering was hitting something, making that sound...thanx tho guys

rob
          Tiff Needell

Comment

Working...
          X