E36 M3 struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E36 M3 struts

I have checked the archives on s14 and the SIG and haven't found any final reports on swapping e36 struts. I know it requires the use of e36 brakes and creates a change in offset, but are there any other consequences? I have access to the brakes and my wheels are actually an e36 offset (38). Any thoughts?

they bolt right up. one thing to consider though is that the shock/struts are designed for the E36. this might make the car look and handle a little bit goofy.

I thought about swapping them around on a saturday when I had my 95 M3, but I was always too lazy.

also remember that 96+ had some differences with the upper strut mount I think. I believe the 95 M3 was the better fit, but I wouldn't put money on that statement

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
    they are not idiots.

Comment

you have to be concerned with the strut travel/length, you'll need the entire spindle assy, then you have to be concerned about mating/geometry of the tie-rod steering and mating of the ball joint/spindle, overall geometry of the front suspension, hub position relative to fender/tire/strut clearance and resulting appropriate wheel offset, proper spring rate, strut damping valving, abs sensor compatability, brake hose compatability, master cylinder capacity/piston size compatability with the new brake calipers, brake hose compatability, etc. etc.

in otherwords, you're trying to fit the suspension of one car onto another one that it was never designed to fit, nothing is impossible but how much time, aggravation, and money are you willing to invest?
      A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

And what would be the advantage to this swap anyway?

Comment

It does work as it has been done before by many people...i cant give you any first ahnd knowledge...but it should work fine...

Not something work the time to me...but if you going for e36 brakes...then it seems like a good idea..

ADAM

Comment

Originally posted by kmicinski
            And what would be the advantage to this swap anyway?
            bigger E36 M3 brakes. I've seen 95 M3 front suspension for as low as $500 so that's a very cheap big break kit

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
            they are not idiots.

Comment

Don't even need the entire strut, just E36 M3 calipers/rotors and a special spacer and you have a very cheap big brake kit.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
              85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
              91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

who sells the spacer?
                Last edited by ttw18; 01-17-2004, 03:04 PM.

Comment

I've only heard of the special spacer, never seen one for sale.

One Idea is to get a E36 M3 front suspension cheap, then rob the faster stearing rack, spindles, and brakes, then run a set of E36 M3 front coil overs (more options from mainstream companies)

then you can sell what's left to an uninformed 318 owner and make some money back

they are not idiots.

Comment

Working...
                  X