timing chain replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing chain replacement?

Sorry if this has been posted but I could'nt find what I needed.

Is there a recommend replacement for the timing chain?
    I do get the rattle on cold start ups. Also I've read that it's not the best thing to run a e36 tensioner on a new timing chain but how about a old timing chain?
    @slowprogress

Originally posted by JZM3 View Post
    Sorry if this has been posted but I could'nt find what I needed.

Is there a recommend replacement for the timing chain?
    I do get the rattle on cold start ups. Also I've read that it's not the best thing to run a e36 tensioner on a new timing chain but how about a old timing chain?
    This has been covered, but here goes....

The E36 tensioner has silenced a lot of noisey timing chains. IMHO the belief that it should not be used because it creates too much tension is just someone's theory. If someone has something concrete to back that up, please share it with us. I, and a lot of others have used the E36 tensioner for a lot of miles without issue.

I personally believe timing chains on any engine (including the S14) are designed to last the life of the motor. If you need a new chain, in addition you need roughly $1K worth of other parts like gears and tensioners and guide rails. You also need to strip the engine nearly to a bare short block to install all these parts. If you need a timing chain, there must be a lot of miles on the motor. Doing all this work just to change timing chain parts, without checking valves, bearings, bores, rings etc. would not be a wise use of time and $$$, IMHO.

HTH

Comment

Dead on Ironhead! I just happen to know from a very reliable source "inside" BMW that the E36 tensioner was indeed specified by BMW (per Technical Bulletin) as the recommended replacement tensioner on E30 M3 S14 Engines. My car has it and I've had no issues.

Happy ///Motoring,

John

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
      This has been covered, but here goes....

The E36 tensioner has silenced a lot of noisey timing chains. IMHO the belief that it should not be used because it creates too much tension is just someone's theory. If someone has something concrete to back that up, please share it with us. I, and a lot of others have used the E36 tensioner for a lot of miles without issue.
      HTH

Comment

Thank you gents!
        @slowprogress

Comment

Working...
        X