ticket for a loud Exhaust?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ticket for a loud Exhaust?????

Some freakin' rookie cop, gave me a ticket on mothers day for having a loud exhaust:shit:. stopped me for a loud exhaust!!!!. I have stromung exhaust and there is no holes (as he claimed). funny part is a Harley past us while he was talking to me and he had to yell because it was too loud. when I told him, my exhaust make no where near the sound of the harley, he responded "well that is motorcycle and this is a car"....So now I have a fix it ticket!!!! how do you fix a something that's not [email protected]$#ing broken???
    anyone get in trouble for having stromung exhaust?

All my people look out in Rancho PQ area in San Diego, for a young Offie named... No I can't bring my self to spread his name on the web..
    :burn:

Originally posted by lyldvlsh1 View Post
    Some freakin' rookie cop, gave me a ticket on mothers day for having a loud exhaust:shit:. stopped me for a loud exhaust!!!!. I have stromung exhaust and there is no holes (as he claimed). funny part is a Harley past us while he was talking to me and he had to yell because it was too loud. when I told him, my exhaust make no where near the sound of the harley, he responded "well that is motorcycle and this is a car"....So now I have a fix it ticket!!!! how do you fix a something that's not [email protected]$#ing broken???
    anyone get in trouble for having stromung exhaust?

All my people look out in Rancho PQ area in San Diego, for a young Offie named... No I can't bring my self to spread his name on the web..
    You should have said 'Yeah, well this is an E30 M3'. :evilnah:
    sigpic
    Click here to see the evolution of my E30 M3 Recent Pics My E30 M3 is sold but not forgotten:cry:

Comment

you damn kids and your loud exhausts.

get a Prius and pull a motorcycle trailer with it, that has a Harley strapped onto it, that's constantly reving in neutral. Then you can be a quiet "car" that's as loud as "motorcycle".
      ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook Fan Page - Twitter

Comment

They are all hurting for funds now - they're giving tickets like crazy. Tint, noise, no front plate, etc.

Comment

Motorcycles have different dB limits than cars have. Maybe you should have asked for his 75ft at 90degree angle dB meter measured ear?
          Who knows where I'll be, changes from day to Continent.

Comment

Actually M-technik, the is a good idea.

Check what the local law is for car db limits. Than measure it to prove that you are under it. That's about the only way to "fix" this ticket i think. Short of putting on the stock exhaust, temporarily of course, to "fix" it.

Comment

Cars have a max dB limit of 89 dB limit so his calibrated ear is squat. I fought one of these in Mass last year and won. Much to the State Cop's dismay.

I will say he was quite angry and then I brought up the fact that I did not reside in the state and that my auto did not need to comply with the state's mandated OEM only exhaust rule which made him more angry.

It wasn't pretty but I was determined not to pull off my Remus 90 mm tips of my M/S50 car. Being at idle he didn't realize it was running. I was getting an altered/loud muffler ticket. A fund raiser for the state, aka free money.

Comment

I wonder if you could run some restrictor plates or something to quiet the exhaust in the meantime.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

carry an extra set of ear plugs and offer them to the officer next time.
                  sigpic
                  Click here to see the evolution of my E30 M3 Recent Pics My E30 M3 is sold but not forgotten:cry:

Comment

Same thing happened to me in my benz. A Harley passed by too right as he was writing me up. He also had to yell. CA is writing tickets like crazy rite now. I was eating dinner outside at a restaurant in Costa Mesa the other nite and the cops pulled over like 5 ppl just in the time I was eating. They were pulling and writing ppl for anything and everything.
                    1986 Mercedes 190e 2.3-16 Cosworth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNJ-qVPBkU

Comment

Definitely. Look up the law, get a dB meter, and fight it in court
                      "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Rather them have to have the burden of having a calibrated "oh I think your car is too loud judgement get tossed."

SEMA webpage can help. check out www.sema.org

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                          Cars have a max dB limit of 89 dB limit so his calibrated ear is squat. I fought one of these in Mass last year and won. Much to the State Cop's dismay.

I will say he was quite angry and then I brought up the fact that I did not reside in the state and that my auto did not need to comply with the state's mandated OEM only exhaust rule which made him more angry.

It wasn't pretty but I was determined not to pull off my Remus 90 mm tips of my M/S50 car. Being at idle he didn't realize it was running. I was getting an altered/loud muffler ticket. A fund raiser for the state, aka free money.

Yeah - that's a BS ticket. Just paying the State's bills.
                          -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

The California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) has begun operation of the state’s motor vehicle exhaust noise testing program. The program, the product of a SEMA-sponsored law, will equip California automobile hobbyists to fight unfair exhaust noise citations issued by state law enforcement officers. Motorists can now prove their vehicles comply with state noise standards. The law also allows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued.

Approximately 40 Smog Check stations that provide referee functions are performing the test. These referee stations, located across the state, will issue certificates of compliance for vehicles when tests of their exhaust systems demonstrate that they emit no more than 95 decibels, under Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169 (May 1998). However, only those vehicles that have received a citation for an exhaust noise violation will be permitted to submit their vehicle for the test. Later this year, BAR will issue a regulation to provide for the cost to consumers for performing the test. Tests performed prior to the official establishment of the testing fee will be performed at no cost to consumers.

According to BAR officials, to have a cited vehicle tested at a state referee center, motorists must make an appointment by calling a toll-free number. Cited motorists should have the citation and vehicle registration available when calling.

"The new law forces compliance with an objectively measured standard in a fair and predictable test," said SEMA Senior Director of Government Affairs Steve McDonald. "Through this procedure, cited motorists who drive vehicles legally equipped with modified exhaust systems can confirm that those vehicles comply with California’s exhaust noise standards.
                            "For years, the enforcement policy used by police officers deemed nearly all exhaust system modifications illegal, even where the noise levels were not excessive or unusual," McDonald added. "That policy left exhaust system manufacturers, dealers and their customers without recourse."

Hobbyists who modify their vehicles for durability, appearance and performance "prefer aftermarket exhaust systems," McDonald said. "By establishing this evenhanded testing process, this program should serve to benefit consumers who favor these state-of-the-art products, the aftermarket industry which markets them, and even police officers who are charged with enforcing the law."
                            This is right from SEMA's California resolved issues. Read it and use it to your advantage if possible.

Comment

Fight the ticket.

Go to court and ask the cop how many db the state law allows. Then ask him how many db your car was making... He will obviously have absolutely no answer to provide to the judge. Case dismissed.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                              1989 M3 racecar
                              e39 Touring

Comment

Working...
                              X