Before and After...Dastek Unichip & FG Airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before and After...Dastek Unichip & FG Airbox

After a de-brief/tech lesson this morning it was time to bring the car home before our Le Mans trip this week. Brought the car back from Paul Shepherd's Dyno today, the long way, and the difference in torque/power has been very impressive.

The car is a 195 with 264 (EVO2/late model) intake cam and de-cat. It has 163tkm chassis mileage with 48tkm on a rebuilt head. The car did make 230flywhp/193rwhp yesterday (graphs from Friday) and the AFR trough @ 6800 has been sorted. As you can see the car is making max power right on the limiter so would be good to push that back a touch, 7,8 has been suggested.

Paul has performed this conversion with 12 (very happy!) M3 owners already - a Dastek Unichip piggyback system that allows control of both fuel and ignition timing with AFM delete. I went for the FG airbox from John and I will honestly lose my license if I drive my car anymore today, its that addictive. From 5krpm there is nothing like it. Filters are twin k&n running alongside the radiator core - see Lee's gb on massive air filter brackets. I hope to get some vids up after the trip.

Needless to say I would highly recommend this conversion if you are serious about your engine in your M3. You will not be disappointed.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    www.4starclassics.com

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the feedback.. I'll get you a jpeg of the latest graph with comparissons on as presented, Eprom remapped then the airbox and Unichip overlayed tomorrow.

Your car is one of the nicest E30 M3's we've had here. Certainly one of the most original for paint, etc and drives nicely.

The intake noise is nice... While cruising it is pretty mute, but hit the throttle and it barks at you eagerly lol.

Whats even more impressive is the power you had at the flywheel before this conversion is exceeded by the power at the wheels after the conversion right upto 6600RPM. It also pulls pretty cleanly now from 1200/1500 RPM where before it was pretty dead.

Enjoy your trip to LeMans and I look forward to hearing from you when you return

Paul.
    E30 M3 Sport Evolution Black
    E30 M3 Sport Evolution Red
    E30 M3 Evo II Red
    E30 M3 Evo II Blue
    E30 M3 195hp Black
    E30 318 is White
    E30 318 is Red

Comment

What kind of $$$ are you talking about for this conversion?

Cheers
      Aaron

"But most of all...
      ... I like the way you move......"

Comment

Originally posted by Az in Oz View Post
        What kind of $$$ are you talking about for this conversion?

Cheers
        Aaron
        Approx 1k for the Unichip conversion fitted and mapped.. not including any airbox supplying or fitting.
        E30 M3 Evo II Red
        E30 M3 Evo II Blue
        E30 M3 195hp Black
        E30 318 is White
        E30 318 is Red

Comment

Nick, you mentioned you have a 272 cam now. You could fit this to your inlet and move your 264 to the exhaust side. But I think you should go 284/276 or 284/284. No compromises low down and bigger gains at the top end. Just need to be sure they are timed right to prevent piston to valve contact.

I have yet to see one with this spec on 46mm TB's and the airbox, But I don't think the 46mm TB's will hurt it atall. Infact it may help torque low down.
          E30 M3 Evo II Red
          E30 M3 Evo II Blue
          E30 M3 195hp Black
          E30 318 is White
          E30 318 is Red

Comment

Another very satisfied customer Paul, must get this done but looks like it will be next year for me now. Boo! Great to read up on another conversions being done - seem very popular with the UK guys.

Comment

Good work Paul. Another good result too.

Mines running good still, I love the way it is so much more useable at low revs as well as the power gains at higher revs. Definitely improves the characteristics of the car no end.

Will bring it down to see you again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by iainrobe30 View Post
                Another very satisfied customer Paul, must get this done but looks like it will be next year for me now. Boo! Great to read up on another conversions being done - seem very popular with the UK guys.
                Yeah Iain, the conversion seems to ge gaining momentum now, in my opinion its the best way to tune any car with this type of conversion. So far the results are pretty outstanding, but the graph only tells a small part of the story. Part throttle, drivability and smoothness as well as economy are all improved pretty dramatically.

Can also be used for tuning in closed loop and knock control too
                E30 M3 Evo II Red
                E30 M3 Evo II Blue
                E30 M3 195hp Black
                E30 318 is White
                E30 318 is Red

Comment

300km's on the way to LeMans and Nick sends me a pic LOL...

E30 M3 Evo II Red
                  E30 M3 Evo II Blue
                  E30 M3 195hp Black
                  E30 318 is White
                  E30 318 is Red

Comment

Originally posted by ShepsEVO3 View Post

Can also be used for tuning in closed loop and knock control too
                    Can you explain the benefits of tuning in closed loop ?
                    Mark Williams
                    Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
                      Can you explain the benefits of tuning in closed loop ?
                      Its one less thing to worry about... set your target AFR's throughout the rev and load range and the chip does the work for you. At the moment, I wouldn't recommend the option on the S14, nor knock control either.
                      E30 M3 Evo II Red
                      E30 M3 Evo II Blue
                      E30 M3 195hp Black
                      E30 318 is White
                      E30 318 is Red

Comment

Nick... how's she running now its mapped on 98?
                        E30 M3 Evo II Red
                        E30 M3 Evo II Blue
                        E30 M3 195hp Black
                        E30 318 is White
                        E30 318 is Red

Comment

I got close RWHP as you with a similar set-up but have much lower torque....maybe I have to re check my AFR in the lower part of my power curve...

I got 264 on the intake...AFM delete thru MAPECU piggyback which only controls fuel, and a turner chip for the higher revs and aggressive timing...

a link to my dyno sheet

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37070
                          Last edited by justin11572; 07-22-2009, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justin11572 View Post
                            I got close RWHP as you with a similar set-up but have much lower torque....maybe I have to re check my AFR in the lower part of my power curve...

I got 264 on the intake...AFM delete thru MAPECU piggyback which only controls fuel, and a turner chip for the higher revs and aggressive timing...

a link to my dyno sheet

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37070
                            Thats a good result from such a set up, generally I don't see a great deal more power under full throttle, but its in the part throttle where massive gains are had. Although, I've yet to come across a fully optimised eprom chip for the ECU. I don't just say this for the M3, but any car I've remapped.

Nicks car never had aggressive ignition timing as on 95 octane it detted everywhere, so the ignition timing had to be retarded and was not optimal for what the engine was capable of. We have since remapped it on 98 super unleaded and got better results again, but still without aggressive timing, but what the engine needed.

The graphs are only full throttle, obviously and only tell about a tenth of the whole story.
                            Last edited by ShepsEVO3; 07-28-2009, 08:49 AM.
                            E30 M3 Evo II Red
                            E30 M3 Evo II Blue
                            E30 M3 195hp Black
                            E30 318 is White
                            E30 318 is Red

Comment

Originally posted by ShepsEVO3 View Post
                              Thats a good result from such a set up, generally I don't see a great deal more power under full throttle, but its in the part throttle where massive gains are had. Although, I've yet to come across a fully optimised eprom chip for the ECU. I don't just say this for the M3, but any car I've remapped.

Nicks car never had aggressive ignition timing as on 95 octane it detted everywhere, so the ignition timing had to be retarded and was not optimal for what the engine was capable of. We have since remapped it on 98 super unleaded and got better results again, but still without aggressive timing, but what the engine needed.

The graphs are only full throttle, obviously and only tell about a tenth of the whole story.
                              I agree with shepsEVO3. The biggest difference between motec and maxx a/n is not under full throttle,but its is at the part throttle that have a huge difference.This is very interesting does Dastek unichip have a dealer in taiwan?

Comment

Working...
                              X