No announcement yet.

What size fuel line?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just brazed an6 ends to my factory hard lines about a week ago. So easy, quick job, $5 fittings off the shelf at my local race shop. I considered slide on compression fittings but went for this instead.

Comment

nice, these are a bit more than $5 but I don't have to find a shop to braze them for me, probably not a hard thing to do as there are some hydraulic supply warehouses on my side of town but at the rate this project is going I don't want to find out the fitting leaks in a year and have to rework it.

Not saying that can't happen with the swagelok's but from talking to some people that handle high pressure fluids and gasses they are very straightforward to install and very reliable. Since I only needed two the cost wasn't too big of an issue either.

-chris
      1988 M3
      2007 Lotus Exige S

Comment

I considered a swagelok / compression type of fitting but mine is a race only car. It was pointed out to me that if you go off track or hit some aggressive curbing there is a possibility of a fitting coming loose or being knocked off. My local racecar building friend told me about 2 cars he saw go up in flames because of failed fuel lines. If yours is a street car it may be just fine, but for my application, a little grinding and welding and it was over quickly. I use push fit aeroquip 6an lines from my fuel cell right up to the hardline that runs under the car. I also put clamps on all the push fit connections for extra insurance.

Comment

There is a world of difference between the compression fittings commonly advertised to the racing / performance world and the swagelok or other double ferrule (parker alok, etc) used in industry. I agree that brazing is a much better solution that the "hardline to AN-" adapters. If I go back and convert the rest of the system back to the tank I may remove everything and get it brazed as costs add up when using the swagelok fittings.

The swagelok tube fitting is suitable for much more demanding applications than required on our cars, even under racing conditions. I would be more concerned with the fuel pipe itself failing or the AN line attached to the fitting coming loose than the fitting separating from the tube.

https://www.swagelok.com/downloads/W.../MS-06-108.PDF

-chris
          1988 M3
          2007 Lotus Exige S

Comment

Working...
          X