Clutch Issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Issues?

My car has around 90k and I believe that the clutch is original. Today, while driving my car, I feel what seems to be a little chatter in the pedal as I just engage the clutch (where the pedal is almost at the top). It does not feel like it is slipping, but I definitely feel this chatter/almost vibration. Does it seem like the clutch is toast? One thing that I noticed for a long time is that when the car is at full operating temperature, it seems like my car is a little hard to shift. I wonder if this is related to the clutch?

Since my car is not modified and I will not track it, I was planning on going with a new Sachs. I know that there is a Sachs HD clutch. Is this appropriate for normal driving as well? Thanks

Sash K
    sigpic
    Sash K
    '88 BMW M3
    '73 BMW 2002

Any Takers on this one??
    sigpic
    Sash K
    '88 BMW M3
    '73 BMW 2002

Comment

When was the last time the clutch fluid what changed? What about the tranny? I would start with those. Also I would pull the inspection plate for the clutch and have a look while you're under there, that may give u a clue if something mechanical has gone bad.
      Last edited by Jeremiah; 07-10-2009, 01:10 PM.

Originally posted by drinaldis
      I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

The chatter may be from oil contamination of the friction disc/flywheel. sources are a small leak from the transmission Input shaft seal or from the rear main seal of the engine. This can show up as bluing and what appear to be bright spots on the flywheel surface. This can also result from excessive slipping of the clutch or slow clutch pedal release by the driver.

Reluctance to shift could be from
        1, weak clutch slave cylinder.
        2, worn friction disc.
        3, transmission internal problem.
        4, old/poor quality transmission fluid.
        Try some Redline MTL to see if the shift quality improves.
        5, worn shift linkage bushings.

At 90k it is time to do quite a bit of preventative maintenance and due diligence regarding wear components.

m

Comment

I noticed the difficult shifting problem with my car. I replaced the clutch master and slave section and then noticed that the hydraulic hose was the problem. Make sure to look into that as well because mine was swelling under pressure when warmed up and not allowing full movement of the slave cylinder.
          There'll be Spandex jackets one for everyone ...

Comment

I've sadly had 2 chattering noises on my (dogleg) box. :(

Culprits were. Release bearing and input shaft bearings. Clutch is less money, but when you have the box out see if you can see anything wrong with the gearbox or surrounding areas. Excessive movement in the shaft.

As for which clutch, well as you say you have a non modified car there isn't anthing to be gained for having the HD one. And a standard will take mild tuning HP increases anyway. So stick with the standard Sachs one.
            SOLD

Comment

Working...
            X