Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

please help me diagnose. did my clutch commit suicide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help me diagnose. did my clutch commit suicide?

Please help. i was driving down the freeway when all of a sudden i lost power. i could rev, but no movement. cruised to shoulder. i don't recall exactly, but i think i had difficulty getting the gear out. then i shut off the car and could move the shifters through the gears freely. when i turn the car back on, could not engage into any gears.
    what i can do now is to start the car with the car already in gear, release the clutch to move the car, but can't shift to any other gear. nor could i get it out of gear when the motor is running.
    did my clutch blow? or is it something else.
    prior to lost power, i did not hear any chattering from gearbox, but then my window was down.
    any input would be greatly appreciated!
    thanks,

David

How does the clutch feel under foot? Normal? Heavy?

Steve
    Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

hi Steve,
      clutch feels normal.
      i also suspected clutch slave cylinder failure, but brake fluid appears at normal level.

David

Comment

I think you will need to pull the 'box and investigate.

Sorry I can't help more.

Steve
        Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

thanks Steve,
          i suspect as much. time to get my hands dirty...

David

Comment

same thing hapened to me. i think its the metal u shaped bar that holds the gear lever in place. its $20 part, but a pain to change. i wud give more detail, but im on my psp.

Comment

sounds like a pressure plate failure to me....anyways, time to get under the car and investigate.

Comment

If you can start the car with the clutch pushed in, and the car starts to move as you let the clutch out, I doubt the clutch has completely failed. My guess is something with the shifter. Don't know why you can't pull it out of gear while the engine's running, though. I guess I'd expect noise or vibration from the clutch or pressure plate while the engine was running, if it was just the clutch.

BTW: The slave or master cylinders can fail and the brake fluid level won't change. To my knowledge, there's nothing (other than a leak) in the clutch system that should cause the fluid level to change much.

Good luck with this one. Be sure to report back what you find.
                The day ain't over yet....

Comment

thanks for the advice guys!
                  i looked underneath and shifter rod and the joints look fine.
                  the car moves as soon as i turn the key as it is in gear. still can't engage in any gear if i start in neutral. very frustrating.
                  anyone with experience doing a clutch job? i'm wavering if i should just take it to a shop... not sure if this is a job for a weekend mechanic like myself. how much should i expect to pay for clutch replacement?

David

Comment

Originally posted by probey View Post
                    thanks for the advice guys!
                    i looked underneath and shifter rod and the joints look fine.
                    the car moves as soon as i turn the key as it is in gear. still can't engage in any gear if i start in neutral. very frustrating.
                    anyone with experience doing a clutch job? i'm wavering if i should just take it to a shop... not sure if this is a job for a weekend mechanic like myself. how much should i expect to pay for clutch replacement?

David
                    A clutch change on these cars isn't fundamentally difficult. BUT I would caution against doing it on axle stands as its 1000 times easier with the car on a lift above you.

Just don't do what I did and stand up too quickly and headbutt the pointy part of the prop shaft. Drew blood and made me properly dizzy!!
                    SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by rich_w View Post
                      A clutch change on these cars isn't fundamentally difficult. BUT I would caution against doing it on axle stands as its 1000 times easier with the car on a lift above you.

Just don't do what I did and stand up too quickly and headbutt the pointy part of the prop shaft. Drew blood and made me properly dizzy!!
                      Good advice!
                      i already started on the work on my driveway. aside from a little (quite scary)mishap with the car rolling off the ramp and driveway yesterday, things are going well so far. took out the exhaust and heat shield already this morning. should have drive shaft and shifter rod disconnected in the afternoon.
                      i'm waiting for my sachs clutch, evo flywheel, and rear main seal stuff to come in. if i get stuck, i can always have it towed then.
                      can anyone tell me what the labour rate is these days for a clutch job?

David

Comment

I don't know what your labour (labor ) rates are over there. but 4 hours should cover it. Gearbox comes out in about 1-1.5 hours. Another 0.5 hours to change over the plates. Then 2 to go back in. And that's working on your own. If you have help you may be even quicker.

OW! You can see which part of the prop I connected with by the angle it hangs at!

Any questions feel free to ask.
                        Last edited by rich_w; 07-09-2009, 03:41 AM.
                        SOLD

Comment

Rich,
                          thanks for the pictures! it will help me with bolts at the transmission housing.
                          i'm ready to unbolt the housing, but i'm getting a motorcycle/atv jack to lower the transmission safely. i'm working alone, so i'm afraid of the trans falling off the jack and onto the cement, or worse, my chest.
                          btw, seeing your scalp laceration made me nauseus right away.

David

Comment

The transmission probably weighs around 75 lbs, so if you carefully balance it on a floor jack with a rubber pad, you should be able to remove it without too much fuss, as long as you get the jack placed close to the center of mass.

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                              The transmission probably weighs around 75 lbs, so if you carefully balance it on a floor jack with a rubber pad, you should be able to remove it without too much fuss, as long as you get the jack placed close to the center of mass.
                              thanks Fred,
                              the problem is that i bench press 60lbs... :(

Comment

Working...
                              X