Announcement

Collapse

Session time has been extended...

Instead of 30 minutes, you will be logged into s14.net for 1.5 hours of inactivity before being logged-out. Also instead of having only 30 minutes to edit a post, it has now been extended to 60 minutes.
See more
See less

Wattage Increase for Gauge Cluster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wattage Increase for Gauge Cluster?

Based on a search I've seen a suggestion to swap out the two 3 watt main bulbs used to illuminate the gauge cluster for 5 watt versions (side marker bulbs).
    Does anyone have a feel for whether the circuit/wiring is robust enough to reliably handle this?
    Thanks in advance.

Well for anyone interested, a search on bimmerforums indicates a few people that state the 5 watt bulbs throw too much heat. So much for the easy way to brighter gauges.

Comment

Perhaps the LEDs with the wide angle?

Comment

The 5w will melt the orange caps - not a good idea!

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.
          I thought about LEDs but decided I wasn't motivated enough to make that conversion.
          As an alternative, I made a few small holes in the orange plastic "hoods" (caps) that cover the two bulbs to try and allow a bit more light through. Thought I'd try this based on some people that have reported good improvements by removing the two "hoods".

I also installed aluminum gauge rings at the same time which appear to reflect the light a bit. So, it's hard to actually quantify the delta but it appears noticeably better now - I'm happy with it.
          Last edited by TjcM3; 07-17-2009, 10:04 PM.

Comment

I tried white LED's once but they ended up looking even dimmer because the orange caps and filters blocked the light output. I ended up just putting in fresh 3w bulbs. I was going to try the orange or yellow LED's the next time I pull the cluster, but haven't done it yet.

88 M3 - 04 LS430 - 03 SL500 - 95 E320 - 70 Mini Cooper
            RC Wheels by Team Pogi

like us on facebook

Comment

Working...
            X