Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jwaka
    replied
    Luckily the car is in my garage with the windows wide open. I'm going to take the cores out of the passenger door with the instructions above this weekend and hope that I'll be driving it by Monday. Thanks guys.

Leave a comment:

• hardtailer
    replied
    how will you get into the car without a key?
    I once saw a seller of an M3 who closed the doors with the engine running and the alarm subsequently locking them do the following:
    smash in the right rear light cluster and pull the actuator that central locks the fuel flap, that should central Unlock all locks…
    It’s the cheapest part to damage and replace apart from the handy people that know how to use a slim jim
    Last edited by hardtailer; 08-03-2009, 11:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jwaka
    replied
    Originally posted by tcheb View Post
    Do you have a lock on your glove compartment? That's the easiest one by far if you do.
    I do have access to it but Im afraid if I were to make it based on the glove compartment, it may not open the other cores (I dont know if its any different than the trunk/door cores).

Regarding getting new cores, Im having my locksmith make the keys exactly to the cores so it should only cost me $15 vs. $100+ for new cores

Leave a comment:

• tcheb
    replied
    Do you have a lock on your glove compartment? That's the easiest one by far if you do.

Leave a comment:

• the bear
    replied
    I had the same trouble with my car, order 2 new keys of the dealer and none of them would open the car, most likely the locks where not changed on your car, its just that the keys and locks gets worn over time and when you get a new coded key from your dealer it just wont work, I would buy a full lock set it only 145.00.

GARY.

Leave a comment:

• peak
    replied
    The easiest to remove is the trunk cylinder. I just went through the removal process on the doors and the trunk.

Damon in STL

Leave a comment:

• FredK
    replied
    Originally posted by jwaka View Post
    - Which side is the easier to take off? trunk, driver, passenger?
    I feel out of the three, the passenger is the easiest to remove and then reinstall. The easiest to remove in the entire car is probably the ignition, assuming you have the correct key to engage the tumblers, but this is probably not an option for you.

Originally posted by jwaka View Post
    - if it is the driver/passenger door, once the door panel is removed, is it fairly easy to remove the lock cylinder? Any diagrams?
    Yes, once the door panel is removed, you merely need to remove some vapor barrier and a clip securing the lock to the door. A prybar with strategically placed rubber block to prevent scratches and damage to the internal door structure makes quick work of it. The lock cylinder then pulls right out.

Leave a comment:

• jwaka
    started a topic how do you remove the lock cylinder?

how do you remove the lock cylinder?

I misplaced my key and have tried to get a replacement from the dealer... $75 later, the key from the dealer wont open any of my doors/trunk/ignition. The dealer can no longer help me since thats the code that was in their system--they mentioned that the previous owner must've had the cores changed and didnt notify BMW. Moot point since I purchased the car over 12 years ago.

So I go to a local locksmith that was referred by the dealer and they mentioned that I need to provide them with the lock cylinder.

Some questions:
    - Which side is the easier to take off? trunk, driver, passenger?
    - if it is the driver/passenger door, once the door panel is removed, is it fairly easy to remove the lock cylinder? Any diagrams?

Thanks guys!
Working...
X