Total 911 match up M3 and 911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total 911 match up M3 and 911

Issue 51 of Total 911 mag put up two 1988 track prepped cars, a 195bhp M3 against a Carrera 3.2.

Unsurprisingly the 911 came out on top on all counts, but at the end the reviewer says only an idiot would choose the M3, but he would be happy being an idiot and would choose the M3 as it was more satisfying to drive.

More power to the M3!

Interesting way of summing things up. The 911s were definitely quicker, especially
    with a higher displacement motor, but they were a handful at the limit. The E30 M3
    is so much more progressive, and that is probably why the author chose to be an
    idiot like the rest of us.

Comment

scan it!
      Seattle, WA
      currently:
      1988 M3 ex j-stock
      1984 911 RoW 3.2
      http://cars.g93.net

Comment

If the 911 didn't come out on top, they would have scrapped the article. Or sold it to a bimmer mag. haha

elefantsupply.com

Comment

Originally posted by S14E30 View Post
          If the 911 didn't come out on top, they would have scrapped the article. Or sold it to a bimmer mag. haha

Thats why I said unsurprisingly!

Comment

Perhaps the 944 would have been a better comparison than the 911. Maybe the
            944 S2 model.

Comment

Originally posted by chutrain View Post
              Perhaps the 944 would have been a better comparison than the 911. Maybe the
              944 S2 model.

agreed

Comment

maybe a more accurate/even comparison, but also possibly less interesting. the 911 and e30 m3 are both icons with huge race pedigrees and were the top of the sporting game for each company. The 944s2 is a nice car, but ultimately a footnote.
                Seattle, WA
                currently:
                1988 M3 ex j-stock
                1984 911 RoW 3.2

Comment

This is interesting, because I do a few track days a year with our local Porsche club. I find my M3 is very competitive against similar year 911's. The base models of course (Turbo's are too fast). I was at one about 2 weeks ago and hooked up with two 911's for most of the day. I was a bit faster than one and was running identical laps times with the other.
                  With the later car I was catching up with him in the corners only to watch him pull away on the straight. In a session when I was in front, I was able to pull away in the corner and he took the straight to catch up with me. Normally I think of 9ll's to have very good braking, but we were pretty darned even in this category as well.
                  Now this was a track day and not a full on race but, for an amateur driver like myself I find the match up to be reasonably even.

Comment

With similar mods as found on most of our M3's, Porsche 951's are good track cars, but magazines comparing cars is always makes for a "grain of salt" reading. Is a 2.3L vs a 3.2L supposed to be funny?

Porsche Brembo brakes have always been great... a mod I wish were easy for an M3.
                    Rich!

Comment

The 944S2 is a very nice car indeed.
                      I had the pleasure to do a trackday with a (borrowed) even nicer 968 Clubsport version 3 years ago.
                      The 968's 3 liter is an astonishing engine, chassis is very stable, brakes very big...quite a focussed maschine.

Difficult for me to compare afterwards as I didnt had the M3 at that time, but yes, I would say the M3 is somewhat more fun and easier to live with (Porsch bills are HUGE).
                      I wouldnt want to start an argument about it, but I would certainly accept invitations to a neck-to-neck track-test...

Thomas
                      Last edited by TR-Spider; 10-12-2009, 08:32 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by m3nally View Post
                        Thats why I said unsurprisingly!
                        I mis- read it.

elefantsupply.com

Comment

I find the M3 to be easier to drive at the track than the 911...

Comment

Originally posted by 90E30M3 View Post
                            This is interesting, because I do a few track days a year with our local Porsche club. I find my M3 is very competitive against similar year 911's. The base models of course (Turbo's are too fast). I was at one about 2 weeks ago and hooked up with two 911's for most of the day. I was a bit faster than one and was running identical laps times with the other.
                            With the later car I was catching up with him in the corners only to watch him pull away on the straight. In a session when I was in front, I was able to pull away in the corner and he took the straight to catch up with me. Normally I think of 9ll's to have very good braking, but we were pretty darned even in this category as well.
                            Now this was a track day and not a full on race but, for an amateur driver like myself I find the match up to be reasonably even.

It is hard to draw too much from track days, because the levels of driver commitment and skill vary so widely. Particularly, many owners of expensive cars like Porsche Turbos take it very easy....

Having said that, I have never had any trouble keeping up with or passing 911s, even some Turbos. I think the E30M3 is simply very easy to drive at the limit, so we tend to take our cars there, whereas the Porsche drivers are maybe at 8/10s.

Comment

agree with the above. a 911 really only shows its true colors in the hands of an expert, so it's to be expected that we'll all have experiences keeping up with them and passing them.
                              Seattle, WA
                              currently:
                              1988 M3 ex j-stock
                              1984 911 RoW 3.2

Comment

Working...
                              X