limited slip diff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• limited slip diff

Just sitting here at work talking, a colleague of mine, who owns an E36 M3 evo just happened to mention that he has a noise when manoevering slowly forward/reverse when turning, and it seems to be coming from the diff area, 1, can anyone explain how a lsd works, 2,is this normal for this model, 3,has anyone else experienced this, another thought is could it be down to tyre noise.

I had this previous problem in my E30 M3 and in all cases when the diff. oil is heated,
    I mean after running sometime (turning left, right, and reversing). My initial suspect
    was the rear wheel bearing which I changed but the noise was still there, then I changed
    the inner CV's, noise was still there. My last option was my differential, I opened and
    found that the disc were toasted. I got a diff from a 325 and swap the whole thing. The 325
    automatic has the same ratio as the E30 M3 (4.1:1)but it is not LSD.

LSD from what I know, is that both axles are locked together by means of a clutch disc. These
    disc will slip when you do turns (in our M3, the disc will slip when there is difference in
    rotational speed between the two axles, 25% of the mechanical torque is lost in this process).
    It gives you advantage in terms of even traction during accelerations, slippery roads, and off roads.

Hope this helps.

audibm

Comment

It does sounds like a differential problem...probably not a tire problem because it happens at low speeds.

As to how a LSD works, from what I know there are two clutch disks, one for each half shaft, and they are engaged by oil pressure. There is some sort of turbine? in the middle that pushes the oil against the plates. When one wheel is spinning faster than the other, that wheels turbine pushes the oil to the other wheel which clamps the clutch disk on the other wheel tighter...giving more torque.

Someone please tell me if this is correct and if I made any sense.
      "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Working...
      X