questions, alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions, alternatives

i am rebuilding my s14, and it is becoming very expensive....sorry..

i need Chain Tensioners (the expensive ones) are there any other alternatives? or are these the only ones for this motor, might be a stupid question, but just wanted to know before i drop 600.00 for pieces of plastic....thanks for the input.

There is no way around the plastic rails that I know of. The beauty of the S14 motor
    is that nothing is cheap.:evilnah:

Comment

Rebuilds are expensive on these motors, those with shallow pockets do swaps.

The masochists keep rebuilding the S14, like me.

Comment

It's easy to see why people swap once you get into the nitty gritty of an S14 rebuild but those rails are the more expensive parts of the engine for what they are. We should find a way to reproduce/remanufacture them. It's just the rubber part that wears down right?
        Last edited by Reelizmpro; 08-19-2009, 04:24 PM.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
        85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
        91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Originally posted by Reelizmpro View Post
          It's easy to see why people swap once you get into the nitty gritty of an S14 rebuild but those rails are the more expensive parts of the engine for what they are. We should find a way to reproduce/remanufacture them. It's just the rubber part that wears down right?
          agreed with everything you have said, this is a bitch.....but we will be close to finishing...

Comment

I think those parts are just something you need to suck up and buy, even though none of us like it.

I don't think getting the part duplicated would save significant money, even if we could find a place to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Reelizmpro View Post
              The plastic itself becomes brittle over time. Usually when they fail pieces break off. Reproducing would be a pretty sizable undertaking. Especially when you consider the implications of failure.

Comment

It would be cool to convert the rail to needle roller bearings

Like that would be cheaper...

Comment

Working...
                X