Valve Shim Kit Cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Shim Kit Cost?

I was wondering about how much the valve shim kits are costing on "average" these days?

Thanks!

Chris
    Chris

Originally posted by tellmem3 View Post
    I was wondering about how much the valve shim kits are costing on "average" these days?

Thanks!

Chris
    I am pretty sure more than you want to pay. They were around $700 IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by tellmem3 View Post

Thanks!

Chris
      Think you can still rent it at Grass or Koala Motorsports, but they will hold a deposit of $300 against your CC and when you return the valve shim kit, they'll adjust the amount for whatever that's used from the kit.

Comment

This kit you guys talk about are those round "tapped" that goes on the lifters that has different sizes?
        Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver / Euro E34 M5 '93 / Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro / Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro / Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Correct.

I kept on going over to the Volvo dealership to purchase shims as no local BMW dealership stocked the proper shims. I suspect there is a difference in material used as the coloration is different, but who knows. They certainly lack the edge chamfering that makes the stock ones easy to remove.

Comment

if you use compressed air and/or the proper size pick, the lack of chamfering on volvo shims is really a non issue.
            And then of course there is the 2-3 day wait vs. Volvo or Fiat dealer having them in stock and far cheaper.
            Mark Williams
            Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

check on ebay. I recently bought a fiat valve shim kit with over 125 pieces for $60.

My M3 Blog Updated Regularly!
              E30 M3 Wiki
              My Youtube Channel
              E30 M3: 14 Days to Victory Page

Comment

boom boom pow!

This has been posted elsewhere, but a BMW shim is about $9, a Volvo shim about $5, and a Fiat shim about $2.

I bet no one hears m3guru complain about chamfering. :blues:
                Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 09-03-2009, 02:11 AM.
                Mark Williams
                Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
                  Jefrem was famous for only using BMW shims, but he popped a shil out and destroyed a motor so I am thinking ones that stay in are better.

Comment

Originally posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
                    boom boom pow!

This has been posted elsewhere, but a BMW shim is about $9, a Volvo shim about $5, and a Fiat shim about $2.

Nope!

E30 M3 Wiki
                    My Youtube Channel

Comment

do the volvo and fiat ones do the job as good as the oem ones?

Comment

I got my "volvo" kit for about $200 a few years ago.

It works fine for me.
                        1988 Diamantschwarz

"The original M3 is utterly brilliant in ways the people at M have either forgotten about or choose to ignore."

Comment

Originally posted by paddy View Post
                          do the volvo and fiat ones do the job as good as the oem ones?
                          they work just fine. Since they are a little tighter due to full square edges, you'll need a good pick, magnet, and/or compressed air. By no means "tough" to get out. You get used to it.

E30 M3 Wiki
                          My Youtube Channel

Comment

$2 fiat shims FTW ! worked fine for me ! only 1 out of the 16 was stubborn =]
                            Last edited by Ara.; 09-07-2009, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ara. View Post
                              $2 fiat shims FTW ! worked fine for me ! only 1 out of the 16 was stubborn =]
                              Where can I source them at? Any special P/N (it might vary depending on size I guess)
                              Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver / Euro E34 M5 '93 / Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro / Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro / Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Working...
                              X