• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ryan M
    Registered
    • 15, 4, 2003

Positive battery terminal question

Does anyone know if there is a way to replace the positve battery terminal? I finally got my M3 on the road but can't tie the battery down correctly. The previous owner put an aftermarket terminal on the positive cable that doesn't allow me to push the battery forward to lock it in. I looked at my other M3 to compare the terminals, and it doesn't seem like I would be able to put a factory style connector/terminal on the cable.

Let me know if anyone has come across this.

Thanks
    Ryan M
    88 E30 M3 Alpineweiss
    07 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
    05 Outback XT

• Das Boots
    M3 Icon
    • 17, 10, 2006

Can you take a photo of what is your present set up?
    Lawrence

BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742
    '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen
    '20 X5 - #3 Son DD
    '24 X4 M40i - SO's New Ride
    '03 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - Hauler & Down Range truck
    '05 330i ZHP 6 Spd - Alternate Ride
    '23 X5 - #1 Son Ride
    '23 X5 - Daughter's New Ride
    '15 Honda Pilot - Daughter's Grandkids Hauler

Comment

• Ryan M
      Registered
      • 15, 4, 2003

Will do tomorrow and post pics.
      Ryan M
      88 E30 M3 Alpineweiss
      07 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
      05 Outback XT

Comment

• Ryan M
        Registered
        • 15, 4, 2003

The first 3 are on the "problem" car. It is just a generic replacement terminal. It doesn't allow me to connect to the positive terminal with the battery locked down in its proper place.

This is the one that is on my other M3. Note how it steps up and turns.

Thanks
        Ryan M
        88 E30 M3 Alpineweiss
        07 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
        05 Outback XT

Comment

• Nikos
          Registered
          • 6, 1, 2004

See about half way down on this page for "elbow crimp".

Also, Lowes used t have a very good selection for that stuff in the general bolt/screw/fastener section.

On another note, you may want to consider a Optima type battery to prevent any battery leaks and rust in that area if your current battery doesn't have a vent tube. The Optima will bring the connectors closer to the cable and they posts are better exposed.

Nick

Comment

• Ryan M
            Registered
            • 15, 4, 2003

Thanks for the heads up. I looked at the sight. It is hard to tell if the elbow style "steps" up at all. I will hit Lowe's tonight and see what they have.

The battery does have a vent tube on it, but maybe I will check out the optima to see if it will work better with the terminal issue.

Thanks
            Ryan M
            88 E30 M3 Alpineweiss
            07 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
            05 Outback XT

Comment

• ///schwartzman
              Gub-na
              • 24, 6, 2005

Note: OPTIMA or AGM Batteries should operate between 12.8V - 15.0V which is not a constant for the M3. I've noticed that after about 1-2 months the OPTIMA before starting the car is anywhere from 10V-11.7V, 10V doesn't even allow my headunit to power up...

My car during operation is usually between 12.2V-13.3, so I am installing an adjustable voltage regulator from: http://www.davebarton.com/AdjustableVoltage.html to up the voltage to 13.8V-14.4V, the charging level of AGM Batteries. And I replaced the ground cable to a longer 1/0 GA welding cable and hyper ground system.
              Last edited by ///schwartzman; 10-21-2009, 11:29 AM.
              Rich!

Comment

• Nikos
                Registered
                • 6, 1, 2004

No battery likes operating below ~13v, but that is a charging issue. BTDT.
                Even with the diode fix on the stock regulator it isn't enough to go over the "normal" Bosch M3 alternator output value of 13.6-8v.

Two thumbs up for Dave's voltage regulator though. With Dave's I've been running a happy 14.2-3v.

One of the best bang for the buck upgrades ever.

Nick

Comment

• Narayan3
                  • 13, 6, 2008

sorry to be a little off topic... but did you guys use the remote mount regulator or the direct fit replacement? I'm looking for opinions on installing the non-remote direct fit replacement...

Comment

• Nikos
                    Registered
                    • 6, 1, 2004

I installed the remote mount for two reasons:

1. Heat. I've mounted mine on the driver fender, on an existing bracket. As with anything electronic related, I figure, lower heat equals longer life and better operation, but have no hard data on that.

2. Ease of use. I figured it would be easier to set the voltage as I wanted than trying to stick a screwdriver under the plenum. Granted, once I adjusted it, I haven't touched it since. It's that good of a product.

Nick

Comment

• Ryan M
                      Registered
                      • 15, 4, 2003

I think I am going to order a new battery cable and replace it. I haven't found a solution so far that I am happy with and most places on line only sell in bulk qtys.

Has anyone replace the positve cable going from the trunk to the engine bay? How difficult and any tips?

Thanks
                      Ryan M
                      88 E30 M3 Alpineweiss
                      07 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
                      05 Outback XT

Comment

• jtloom3
                        Registered
                        • 28, 7, 2005

I changed mine years ago when I was installing car audio. I upgraded to 1/0 gauge aftermarket cable. It terminates at the at the passenger side firewall into cockpit, behind glove box, down passenger side of the vehicle, the passenger seat and rear seat comes out, then too the battery location. Couple hours or so. Nothing too outragious. Consider a fuse or circuit breaker at the battery location while you are making the swap.

Comment

Working...
                        X