Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few of questions from a new E30 M3 owner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
    Not having functioning ABS is definitely something to worry about for me. It makes the vehicle less safe.

About the throw out bearing, is it supposed to be this way or is it going bad/already bad?

Not necessarily something to worry about, your brakes will still function, well... but I do understand your concern, but remember there was a time...
    My first VW Corrado G60 with ABS ('91) I was going thru an intersection @ 35 mph a lady in a Cadilac El Dorado stops to turn into a gas station, I hit my brakes, then tried pumping them... good ol' ABS steered me right into the steel bumper, you can guess which car came out unscaved... I guess if you learned driving without ABS, then get it... it's a bonus, but I can do without it... may cost you a few seconds on lap times but hey...

T.O. Bearing probably needs changing, or maybe has a ligtened flywheel... warrants investigation in the near future.
    Last edited by ///schwartzman; 11-12-2009, 04:05 PM.
    Rich!

Comment

Originally posted by ///schwartzman View Post
      T.O. Bearing probably needs changing, or maybe has a ligtened flywheel... warrants investigation in the near future.
      How difficult is it to change the throw-out bearing on these cars?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
        I did an oil change on the car yesterday... What a PITA. I'm from the E36 world and an oil change on those is super fast and easy. Removing the airbox and reaching through tight places to unscrew the oil filter a centimeter at a time sure was a hassle.
        Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
        Yeah.

I never figured out a way to do it either, without spilling oil all over the place. I finally did a remote oil filter mod a while back. Smartest thing I ever did. Now changing it out is a breeze.
        Use a 1 gallon plastic zip-lock bag.
        Loosen the filter with your wrench so it is just barely able to be turned by hand.
        Place the bag around the filter, pull it up over the top of the filter and the filter head.
        Unscrew the filter, and let the oil drain into the bag.

I usually leave the filter in the bag as well and then remove the entire ensemble.

No oil drips on the pan or floor.

Learned this trick from OnRails a few years ago.

HTH,
        Chris
        Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

That's a damn good idea! [peace] Now, if I can only remember that the next time I change my oil, which probably won't be any time soon with the few miles I put on the car annually!

Cheers,

John

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
          Use a 1 gallon plastic zip-lock bag.
          Loosen the filter with your wrench so it is just barely able to be turned by hand.
          Place the bag around the filter, pull it up over the top of the filter and the filter head.
          Unscrew the filter, and let the oil drain into the bag.

I usually leave the filter in the bag as well and then remove the entire ensemble.

No oil drips on the pan or floor.

Learned this trick from OnRails a few years ago.

HTH,
          Chris

Comment

I did have a bag over the filter when I unscrewed it. A little bit of oil still spilled out but it was nothing major. Engine is running very smooth... It's just that damn clunking and rattling when the clutch pedal is not pushed in... Sometimes it sounds like the engine is going to die out like the car is stalling.

Comment

Another oil filter trick:
              Take the non-hook end of a 1" nylon tie down strap and wrap it around the filter (and itself) a few times in a counterclockwise direction. Pull up. The wrap tightens on itself and rotates the filter off. You may have to hold the "loose" end of the strap on the filter to prevent the strap from unwrapping- it doesn't require much pressure.

-Quentin
              94 Spec Miata
              88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by QBearse View Post
                Another oil filter trick:
                Take the non-hook end of a 1" nylon tie down strap and wrap it around the filter (and itself) a few times in a counterclockwise direction. Pull up. The wrap tightens on itself and rotates the filter off. You may have to hold the "loose" end of the strap on the filter to prevent the strap from unwrapping- it doesn't require much pressure.

-Quentin
                94 Spec Miata
                88 M3
                Interesting! I think I might try that next time!:blues:

Comment

You know what guy's... After closer studying, I'm starting to think that my problem is not a bad throw out bearing. I mean, the throw out bearing does make some rattle when the clutch pedal is out, but that seems to be normal on almost any manual transmission car.

I'm starting to think the problem has more to do with the engine. The engine runs strong while driving. Sounds and feels very healthy. But sometimes (not all the time though) at idle it starts to surge and clunk like an old beat-up truck. This also only seems to happen once the oil temperature reaches around 200-210 on the gauge which is one of the main reasons that leads me to believe it has something to do with the engine rather than the TO bearing.

What do you guy's think? Maybe the engine is not getting enough fuel at idle and that's why it seems just fine while driving? I looked at the fuel filter but it looks brand new. Not even dirty at all.

Any ideas guy's?

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
                    If the light is on as soon as you start the car, BEFORE you move the vehicle, I'd wager 90% on a broken ABS relay. This is a small relay under the drivers side of the dashboard with a small wire inside. The wire is prone to breaking.

It's a small silver relay box.

Here is a description from Don McAdams as to where you can locate this relay:

HTH,
                    -Chris
                    I replaced my ABS relay today and it turned out that was the problem! You were right! Thanks so much for the help on that issue.:jakeguita

Comment

My symptoms are very similar to your car...it also sounds like it's going to die when idle, but the noise goes away when it's in gear with clutch disengaged..If anyone could shed any lights on this issue, I'll love you forever and ever...lol
                      If you have God on your side, everything becomes clear. - Ayrton Senna

Comment

If this is only happening when the clutch is out, does the idle speed drop? If so, I would suspect some clutch drag due to wear in the drivetrain.
                        If not I would synchronize the throttlebodies, inspect plugs, wires, cap and rotor. make sure all these components are in good shape.
                        Also, spray some starter fluid arould the throttlebody mounting blocks to verify they are not leaking. If the idle speed increases, they are leaking and need replacement.
                        Congrats on the purchase and good luck with the car!
                        88M3 henna

73T100C
                        97 540\6-Gone
                        2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

Working...
                        X