Heater Matrix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater Matrix

Guys, I'm changing the carpets on the M3, and wondered is it worth changing the matrix while they are out? Car has been well maintained but i guess thats no guareentee it wont go pop 2 weeks after fitting the new carpet. :wahwah:

I think ive answered my own question.....

Another question, apparently theres two types of matrix on the M3, and the dealer cant tell me which ones mine. Apparently ones is metal, the other has plastic unions. Does anyone happen to know which one os most likely? (German import on a '90 plate)

Cheers,

Warren

If the carpet is out, look at the pipes going through the firewall. If they are silver, and appear to be aluminum then you have the aluminum version.

If they are black, then it is the plastic version.

Comment

Replace it.

There have been several instances of people springing leaks from the heater core valve, myself included this past summer.

Where did you source the new carpet? What colour?

Comment

I'll be doing this job soon aswell. My water valve is starting to leak...

Comment

Carpet isn't out just yet so was hoping there was another I could tell so I could hit the lot in one day. I ought the carpet from the BMW dealer. The front is black (silver / anthrazite nla) and the rear in anthrazite which I'm going to get pro dyed to match the front. I've found someone who can do it without getting it emersed in dye.

Comment

Buy the original manufacturer matrix off
            http://www.c3bmw.co.uk/
            It'll be cheaper and you'll get the right one.

Comment

Originally posted by fourmotion View Post
              Carpet isn't out just yet so was hoping there was another I could tell so I could hit the lot in one day. I ought the carpet from the BMW dealer. The front is black (silver / anthrazite nla) and the rear in anthrazite which I'm going to get pro dyed to match the front. I've found someone who can do it without getting it emersed in dye.
              How much was it?
              James

Comment

Originally posted by Quest View Post
                How much was it?
                Carpet was approximately 450 all in (front and rear) Ive given up trying to match the bot sectrions, and dyeing is the only sensible route to achieving a carpet with the same colour. BMW need a good kick up the arse! :nope:

Comment

Originally posted by xworks View Post
                  Buy the original manufacturer matrix off
                  Supplying BMW parts and accessories direct to the BMW enthusiast since 1978,

It'll be cheaper and you'll get the right one.
                  I normally use C3 for everything, but admittedly i was going to go the dealer as ive had to go for them for everything else. Thanks for reminding me. :-)

Comment

Replace that heater matrix, its money wisely spent!
                    Mine (Euro 1990 170'000km) went bang (literally) last year on the Nordschleife, it is quite a time bomb apparently...

Thomas
                    sigpic

Comment

You may also want to look at changing the heater valve while you are in there. If that 'pops' it will fook your carpet, same way.

Schwarz 1990 Sport Evolution

Comment

Thanks guys. Its a defintate no brainer then. Just wish i could order before ripping it apart.

Comment

Originally posted by fourmotion View Post
                          Thanks guys. Its a defintate no brainer then. Just wish i could order before ripping it apart.
                          All you have to do is remove the underdash panel in the left side footwell, shine a torch towards the firewall and look for two tubes penetrating the firewall. If they are aluminium, you need the later matrix/heater valve. 2minutes , tops.

m

Comment

Originally posted by Mmark View Post
                            All you have to do is remove the underdash panel in the left side footwell, shine a torch towards the firewall and look for two tubes penetrating the firewall. If they are aluminium, you need the later matrix/heater valve. 2minutes , tops.

m
                            Cool, thanks mate, ill give it a try.

Comment

You have a 1990 MY car so 90% odds you have the latter kit.
                              10% is if some muppet before you switched it out to the pre 1989 kit.

m

Comment

Working...
                              X