Want a new headunit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want a new headunit

I have a Kenwood headunit in my car (came with it when I bought it), but I really don't like the "aftermarket" looks of it. Is there anything out there that looks like it could of come from the factory? I hate the tiny little buttons on most, as well as the pixelated colorful displays that almost every unit seems to have.

Nakamichi CD-45, CD-400, CD-35

Quality/longevity can be a bit of a concern though, as the company shifted hands numerous times.

I would also suggest looking at:

Alpine CDA(?)-105
    Alpine 9857 (Old model, will have to bought used)

Both of these have Amber illumination to better match the OEM appearance, and on the 105, you can turn the display off entirely when not actively selecting tracks/stations/etc. for an even cleaner appearance.
    Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...light=bmw+cd43

Comment

BMW Traffic Pro - http://z3ers.com/01/081501/becker.html.

Better sound quality than the CD43 and very easy to hook an Ipod into it.

Comment

I use Becker, it has classic look with red display, perfect match for our cars!
          [/SIGPIC]

Comment

Eclipse CD 7200 mk II... I'm going this route from a Pioneer Premier P1R Supertuner V [peace]
            Rich!

Comment

Of all the new stereos I have seen I think the Becker has the best retro look.

However, I would still advocate getting an original BMW Bavaria. These are widely available on ebay.de - you wont regret it - you should spend most time listening to the engine anyway. The CD43 is also good, as someone else has said on this thread.

Comment

Pioneer DEH-P800PRS

1987 BMW M3 E30

S50B32 swap thread http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43515

Comment

Originally posted by Larsen-Racing View Post
                  Pioneer DEH-P800PRS

congrats dude, you really nailed the retro look.,,,,,

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Congrats dude, you once again came up with a stupid comment about something I have posted! Something you just can keep for yourself.

I think that head unit fit the E30 dash well, that's why I posted it.
                    1987 BMW M3 E30

Comment

Congrats dude, you once again came up with a stupid comment about something I have posted! Something you just can keep for yourself.

I think that head unit fit the E30 dash well, that's why I posted it.

The pleasure is all mine :blues:

you think it fit's nicely, I don't. So what is your problem? I am surprised you haven't painted it metallic blue to match your baseball bat and the bodywork.

Everybody in this thread is talking about retro, amber illuminated OLD looking headunits and you post a picture of a flash and bling BLUE/WHITE in your face shining
                      Stereo. Get a grip and don't expect that everybody here is falling down on their knees in awe for whatever you do.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Calm down, relax, start breathing....

Maybe I'll just re fit my old looking Alpine 6cd shifter then!
                        1987 BMW M3 E30

Comment

Pioneer DEH-P800PRS

Originally posted by strube View Post
                          I hate the tiny little buttons
                          Check!

Originally posted by strube View Post
                          pixelated colorful displays
                          Check!

Excellent contribution Larsen, you nailed 2 of the 3 primary items he is looking to avoid.
                          Is today opposite day? :gotcha:
                          Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Pioneer DEH-P800PRS

:smile2::smile2::smile2::ha::ha::ha::rolling::roll ing::rolling:
                            This was a joke right?
                            Last edited by ADA///M; 12-15-2009, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
                              CD-400

The plastic doesnt match exactly as its not faded like 20 yr old plastic.

But it lights up amber and matches the BMW lighting pretty well.

And it sounds fantastic [peace]

But if you're looking for the exact retro look...get a stock unit.

Comment

Working...
                              X