Transmission louder than usual??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission louder than usual??

I tried searching but to be honest I don't even know what to search for. I had an old worn illuminated shift knob that I just replaced with a zhp one my parents bought me for Christmas = ) when I was replacing it, it reminded me of the broken reverse cable I had which I pulled out of the little hole which is in the rubber boot sometime ago. Now since I replaced the shift knob when in first gear I start driving and the beginning of second I can here my gears louder than normal. The car shifts perfectly and there is no problems what so ever just added noise. Kind of like I would have solid tranny mounts. Could my tranny mounts need replacing or is it just louder due to the rubber piece having an opening?
    @slowprogress

Would like to know too.

Comment

It could be that you didn't get the boot sealed back up properly. I've noticed that when installed a short shifter on a couple cars, more gear noise comes up "through" the shifter, kind of as vibration. While I know you only replaced the shift knob... it could be part of it.

If all you did between hearing the noise was mess with the reverse cable and change the knob, I would be it's that. It would be a huge coincidence if something happened internally at the same time
      Last edited by AlpineRunner; 01-07-2010, 11:44 AM.
      "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Check part # 11 in this diagram. It might be torn, this would allow more noise into the cabin. Its a rubber gasket that seals the hole at the sheet metal.

Comment

thank you for all the ideas,

dougy fresh can I check that from the inside, or do I have to be under the car?
          @slowprogress

Comment

yes it can be checked easily, just lift the shift boot.

Comment

I have one more question for you guys.

When I try to rotate my shifter it does, not just the knob but the entire shifter right and left. My dads 535is does not do this.

Any suggestions? Can this be the same bushing like Dougy mentioned?
              @slowprogress

Comment

Originally posted by JZM3 View Post
                I have one more question for you guys.

When I try to rotate my shifter it does, not just the knob but the entire shifter right and left. My dads 535is does not do this.

Any suggestions? Can this be the same bushing like Dougy mentioned?
                It could be the shifter has decoupled. They are two pieces with intermediary rubber to reduce vibration. Is it the original one?

My M3 Blog Updated Regularly!
                E30 M3 Wiki
                My Youtube Channel
                E30 M3: 14 Days to Victory Page

Comment

I have not changed it out so as far as I know it is the original one.

There is no vibration or buzzing at all.
                  @slowprogress

Comment

My old one had mushy rubber, but never rotated. Does it rotate when you shift? That would bug me.

E30 M3 Wiki
                    My Youtube Channel

Comment

No, it rotates when I try to rotate it. So it's not irritating at all, just something I have wondered about.
                      @slowprogress

Comment

It's not big deal then. I thought it was totally loosy goosy. It'll probably be getting worse though IMO.

E30 M3 Wiki
                        My Youtube Channel

Comment

Yeah, I will take a look at it tomorrow to see how #11 looks
                          @slowprogress

Comment

Working...
                          X