Help no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help no start

Well, I was overhauling my cooling system. While doing this I removed the alternator do access one of the cooling hoses. I had forgot to disconnect the battery. While I was doing this my wrench touched the positive part of the alternator and a big spark came off. I then realized I did not disconnect the battery and took care of it.

Move forward, got everthing back together and now the car won't start. It cranks but will not start. What did I do?
    Dan

88 M3
    Black on Black

San Diego, CA
    USA

There is an inline fuse on the secondary (ie smaller) cable that runs from the battery to the front power distribution that's behind the coolant overflow tank. This is a ~50amp fuse, that over time can go bad. The fuse is located within 6-12" from the positive battery terminal post.

The DME get power from this cable. I would check to see you get 12v from this cable and haven't blown that fuse.

Otherwise, check for power at the DME relays....

Nick

Comment

I think I found the problem. I started taking everthing apart. 2 things I changed. Not sure which was the problem solver.

1. The ground on the alternator was barely haning on. I am going to have to order a new one. In the mean time I made my own.

2. I had to discounnect 3 connectors above the coolant lines going through the fire wall. It is possible I did not put these together in the right order. I took them apart and put them back in the positions I think they should go.

Either way the car started.
      Dan

88 M3
      Black on Black

San Diego, CA
      USA

Comment

The ground to the alternator is not the problem. That is the one with a crimped wire with a rubber boot over the terminal. They do get disconnected when alternator comes apart. If disconnected, all you will have is that the batteries will not be charging. That is why I have mine soldered after twice giving out....so, it should be the 3 connectors that goes through the firewall.....Are these connectors on the driver's side? Glad it starts and running.
        Lawrence

BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742
        '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen
        '09 540i Touring 6 Spd - Son's DD
        '03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD
        '03 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - My DD & Range truck
        '05 330i ZHP 6 Spd - Alternate DD
        '15 Honda Pilot - Daughter's & Grandkids Hauler

Comment

Working...
        X