Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

89 Gas was put into my m3....What should I do..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 Gas was put into my m3....What should I do..

Alright..first of all, sorry for writing so many threads related to gasoline..this one, I had not intended nor do I enjoy writing this..I am located in Toronto, Canada where winter is approx 10 months..if that helps any in solving this situation..

This past sunday, I filled in $15 worth of Shell 91 gas into my beloved m3..I rarely fill it up full tank so I think it was around 3/4 or 1/2 full...Being a student and all, my dad felt sympathetic for my current financial situation and decided to give me a "surprise" by filling up the gas...(Very nice of him..really)..but the problem is that he forgot to put 91 octane...instead he put in 89, and when I asked him, he said that it was approximately 20~25 litres of 89 octane into my car..

I'm really frustrated about this situation, but it's not like I can get angry at my dad for trying to do something nice for his son..I know I'm gonna get flamed a lot for mishap like this, as well as for the fact that I lack any mechanical knowledge (as of now..but intend to learn during summer), but I generally try to take care of my car to the best of my abilities..(i.e., rustproof, carwash, oil change, not frequently driving at high revs)

So please, would my car be ok..? I've done some search on s14 already, and learned that the problem was due to lack of knocking sensor in our cars, and the possibility of pre-detonation that could damage the engine..(TBH, I'm not complete sure what these mean..I'm sorry..)

Long story short: Would my car be ok ? or if not, what actions could I take to minimize potential damage..? Again, I'm really ashamed to be writing this thread and asking such stupid questions...but please bear with me. Thank you..
    If you have God on your side, everything becomes clear. - Ayrton Senna

Octane boost?
    Terrance

Comment

No worries man, as long as your car is mostly stock and has no crazy engine modifications it will be fine.
      Last edited by Shaun; 01-26-2010, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Siphon your gas out and fill it with 91 if you're worried.

Or use the fuel quality switch and drive/idle the tank to almost empty.

Or just drive it easy and probably be fine.

Comment

To my knowledge, my car has no performance mods whatsoever...So if I go easy on it, say run @ max 3k rpm, it'll all be fine right?! Thanks a lot guys. Now I can relax a bit..I was so tensed up..lol Oh, also, is it a good for the engine to have a habit of running @ low rpms ? I always do this anyways for LPG but just wondering..Again, thanks a lot !

Comment

Without going into a detailed write up even my grandmothers Ford Taurus will accumulate carbon build up if she puts around town at 35mph. If you ever see a car on the highway accelerate really fast and black smoke comes out...there you go. You have a car that was used, bruised and abused and gladly asked for more. Do her a favor after this tank drains, throw in the good stuff and let her stretch the ol legs GL
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by M3DTMPWR View Post
              Without going into a detailed write up even my grandmothers Ford Taurus will accumulate carbon build up if she puts around town at 35mph. If you ever see a car on the highway accelerate really fast and black smoke comes out...there you go. You have a car that was used, bruised and abused and gladly asked for more. Do her a favor after this tank drains, throw in the good stuff and let her stretch the ol legs GL
              Yep ! For sure. I've always used 94 or 91 since the first day I got my car..!

Comment

You should be ok, as long as you dont have a engine chip that's optimized for 91 or 94.
                88 M3
                91 M5
                90 325is

Comment

you can change the fuel quality setting by playing with the blue and black connectors in the ECU harness (above the glovebox). If you do a search for "blue connector ecu harness octane" on this forum you will find some threads on how to do it.

Comment

It won't hurt. just drive sanely and it will be fine.
                    If you start driving around at 20-30mph in third and lugging the engine , you'll piss it off and it will ping.
                    after 1/2 tank add your premium.
                    You bought a used car. It has had 89 octane fuel before. People cheap out.

Don't mess with the fuel settings.

m

Comment

You have a great dad, thank him for the gas!

Comment

Originally posted by 90E30M3 View Post
                        You have a great dad, thank him for the gas!
                        I really do ! hehe. Can't thank him enough for everything he's done for me.

Comment

You will be fine... You can add an octane booster, Redline S1 fuel system cleaner, Lubro Moly, Motul, SeaFoam many options... Sometimes you gotta do it but it won't hurt it at all.
                          Rich!

Comment

Originally posted by ///M3 Terr View Post
                            Octane boost?
                            +1 on Octane Booster & give your Dad a big hug. You'd be surprise that the ole' guy will always be your booster and closest friend you'll ever find....btw, probly a good time to say, 'I Love You, Dad.'
                            Lawrence

BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742
                            '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen
                            '09 540i Touring 6 Spd - Son's DD
                            '03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD
                            '03 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - My DD & Range truck
                            '05 330i ZHP 6 Spd - Alternate DD
                            '15 Honda Pilot - Daughter's & Grandkids Hauler

Comment

Top it off with 20 bucks worth of 100 octane race gas.

Comment

Working...
                              X