Valve spring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve spring question

Has anyone ran/running stock valve springs on EVO 2 cams for more than 20K miles?
    I'm going to install the cams in a few months and was wondering if its necessary to buy the springs.
    My car hit 100K a couple days ago and is running on stock springs.
    I appreciate any help.
    Thanks
    -Ara
    -Ara

DEATH TO GARAGE QUEENS

I don't want to say the wrong answer but I think you are safe...
    Though your car is not 'newer' because the US models had 'EVO' vavle springs, so I'll give you a TTT and see what the god's of S14s have to say.

Comment

There's no way to be sure without testing them first. But my logic is that if the factory used up rated springs with that cam, then 15+ year old/100k mile standard springs wouldn't be a good idea. Never tried it myself though.

HTH,
      Jake Larsen

Comment

I agree with Jake. Not worth the risk. I'm in the process of creating a 2.5 with a 272 cam. I'll definitely be using new (EVO) valve springs.
        2000 Porsche Boxster S - Daily Driver
        1995 Porsche 993
        2001 BMW 530iA Sport (hers)
        2004 Ford F-150 FX4
        2005 KTM 450EXC (More fun than all of the above)

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Replica
        1985 BMW M635CSI
        2001 BMW M3
        1988 BMW 325is (E30 M3 springs, steering, Konis, etc) - my favorite BMW - missed.

Comment

I personally think you are fine if its for a street car...

I ran it and my brother runs it no problem...the e2 is not that agressive of a cam...

But its up to you...if you have the money and the time...by all means go ahead....IMHO...its not needed

Comment

For what it's worth, I've been running 284/276 cams with stock valve springs for the past 15K miles or so. The reason I took the chance is because a) upgraded springs were RECOMMENDED for 284/276 b) if something happens, I'll just go 2.5. I do not run the engine as hard (6-7800RPM) as I could with these cams mainly because with the Maxx kit, I don't really need to on the street and this also minimizes the chance of floating the valves. Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about the E2 cam.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
            85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
            91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

mmmmmm...evenly split.
              by the way things sound, it looks as though E2 cams aren't THAT aggressive enough for the new springs.Oh well looks like I'll decide basd on how much cash I have left from the Germany trip.
              the E2 cams were brand new for 300 EUROS = $400 on ebay.de so hopefully I'll find some springs up there for cheap.
              Thanks a bunch lads!
              -Ara
              -Ara

DEATH TO GARAGE QUEENS

Comment

Working...
              X