Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zinnober (original colour) or change to Imola or Misano (Evo II special)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zinnober (original colour) or change to Imola or Misano (Evo II special)

Hey everyone,

I'd like the views of E30 M3 owners on whether I should respray my 1988 M3 in the Zinnober red colour it was supplied new with or the nicer (in my opinion) Imola red or alternativly the Evo II colour Misano red.

Would changing the colour from the original effect the value of the car ?

The reason I'm painting it is due to fading of the paint on the roof skin.

Thanks in advance for your views.

Paint it what you like best! I think a respray will effect value more according to the job done. A respray is still not original paint even if it is the same color so value may go down anyways. If you do change the color though, make sure your doing a complete spray, none of the taping off BS... paint it as though the factory painted it. Of course if value is that important and you are looking at selling down the road, may as well just leave it and sell as is.

Comment

Unless you're keeping it a garage queen with under 25k miles...go with what makes you happy.
      1988 M3
      2012 335is
      1993 Civic Si

Comment

Garage queen no, under 25k miles no , full respray all panels off ect. for sure. I'm thinking an imola red e30 m3 would look good.

Comment

Imola red or Misano red will look very good !

Comment

Originally posted by M Henna View Post
            ...... A respray is still not original paint even if it is the same color so value may go down anyways.....
            I have to disagree with this statement. Just because a car is repainted doesn't make the value go down. Sure, the quality of the repaint can affect value, but not merely having a car repainted. We all know red fades easily anyway. How many original paint red M3's are out there? Very, very few I'd guess. Does that make them any less desirable?...I doubt that very much.

Zinnoberrot is a gorgeous color IMO. I'd vote for keeping it stock....you won't be sorry. Just have it painted properly.

Good Luck,

John
            Last edited by 02fanatic; 02-12-2010, 11:54 AM.

Comment

I'd also vote for stock Zinno. That color is just so badass. I miss my old one :(

Comment

Imola would kick ass... I would also like to add that if you respray the car with original color and have it done properly it will not affect the car's value negatively. I am just about certain I would pay more money for a car that was professionally repainted in original color over one that has the original paint that looks dingy.... now that I think of it, I would pay extra for an Imola red car if it was repainted professionally.

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Thanks for the inputs , i'm going to go with a full respray in zinnober . Now to strip every thing down and send it to the shop.

Comment

Have you tried using different compounds on the paint? Is it fading and peeling or is it oxidation? I had oxidation and my friend helped me out a lot with products he has. The red came out beautifully.
                    @slowprogress

Comment

wow, what a nice place to be. non-original paint will decrease value in absolute terms. but, who cares. these cars are never sold by the purists. so... get a kick butt quality job and paint it... henna!, or ruf porsche/lambo orange, whatever you want. and... go for the newer non-high gloss/matte that many exotics are going with. so my final vote would be factory henna gloss or ruf porsche/lambo orange in matte. the e30m3 makes any color hot, hot, hot. enjoy. have fun. in the end, you seek quality first.
                      the winningest racecar ever.

Comment

Originally posted by JZM3 View Post
                        Have you tried using different compounds on the paint? Is it fading and peeling or is it oxidation? I had oxidation and my friend helped me out a lot with products he has. The red came out beautifully.
                        jzm3, every time i see your signature, i think... "what a perfect car." i love your offsets, rake, stance,... wow, hot, hot, hot.

Comment

Some fading mostly but I've decided on a respray now so she's going to get it.Non high gloss matte finish interesting i'll look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by bbsrs View Post
                            Some fading mostly but I've decided on a respray now so she's going to get it.Non high gloss matte finish interesting i'll look into it.
                            in that case, i would do 100% factory color and sheen (high gloss). the new matte finishes only look hot on exotic colors. in any case, get a quality job and stick to the factory paint specs and you will be satisfied big time.

Comment

Go Ferrari Red, so its not only Jerry and Vlad

Comment

Working...
                              X