left side is shorter ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• left side is shorter ??

I just put new 17 wheels and tyres on the car (used to have 16) and I get wheel rub on the passenger front, but not the drivers. On closer inspection and measurement the passenger front wheel centre is further rearward by 12mm.
    I know the full life of this car and it has never had an accident. All the suspension mountings are fine and dandy, does anyone know if body tolerance during manufacture was an issue with these cars ?, I wouldn't have thought so knowing BMW. has anyone else had this and what do you think it might be ?
    the 17,s look cool but obviously I can't use them.....
    Sy

Down deep you know the answer...

Comment

What are you measuring from?
      Possibilities: Bent control arm, C/A bushing not in the bracket properly, worn out or perhaps one side has the wrong bushing?
      Bent shock tower would give you serious alignment issues you would have noticed before.
      Check the distances between the front and rear hubs, this will tell you if its the wheel or the bodywork that's off.

Comment

Uneven ground surface.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
        1989 M3 racecar
        e39 Touring

Comment

yep, measured rear wheel centre to front on perfectly flat ground, no alignment issues at all, have camper plates ? could this cause it ?
          body is straight. bushings look the same and the chassis rail is also straight.

Comment

Bent control arm one side or one side stock, other side E36M3 3.2 arm.
            Excentic bushing one side, centric other side.
            Camber plate dont influence wheel base.
            simply measure both arms from rear to outer bearing center.
            If both arms are the same, youre in trouble...

Thomas
            Last edited by TR-Spider; 02-14-2010, 08:46 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

they certainly look the same to me but will measure tonight as you suggest, both bushings are excentric.
              would the arm look bent though ? it would be obvious wouldn't it ?

Comment

Measure them as if you were finishing the triangle. To end up with the right wheel 12mm back, the right side measurement should be shorter MORE than 12mm. I'd take the car for an alignement to confirm the issue and take the oportunity of the car on the ramps to make the measurements.

I believe that if the bushes are both excentric and the arms straight then the difference is in the panels

Comment

Alignment shop - for sure. I don't know how I'd sleep at night if I were you.

Comment

I'll bet that if anyone on this forum goes out in the garage and measures between the rear and front hubs on both sides of their M3's they "will not" get the same measurement!

If you've ever been through a restoration you will know this....if it's extreme and causes uneven steering, etc. then that's something different altogether. But don't expect the distance between hubs to be identical on both sides.

Comment

as I said alignment is fine, car drives great, obviously it has been adjusted to suit the cars situation.
                      I can sleep cause I know the body is straight, therefore new bits would be needed like control arms, suspension strut or whatever.all of which are bolted on. cost's money of course.
                      I'll just go back to the 16's for now untill I get it sorted.

Comment

You are finding out why some wheel & tire setups will work on one car but rub on another! No two cars are exactly the same. This is especially true with older cars where tolerances are greater.

Comment

FWIW I encountered something similar when I first got my car on the road after the RHD conversion. All new suspension components front and rear and Vorshlag plates up front. My car has never been hit..ie the chassis is straight. Four wheel aligmnet done at a well known suspension shop... everything perfect. I fitted the 17" Style 5's with 235/40's allround and low and behold the RHS front tyre hit on a section of the front inner guard and not the LHS...... left me a bit baffled. Then I read a comment posted by Jake about the Sparco strut brace and the woes people had fitting them due to the towers being of varied centres and people needing to jack the car up under the front crossmember to fit them. It went along the lines of "why would people want to correct 20+ years worth of the car developing it's "own" negative camber by openeing up the towers to get the bar on (this is what I had to do to fit mine btw). It kind of made me realise that time and driving are going to cause variations on any chassis. A millimtere of movement at one mounting point could well add up to 10 at another point in the suspension right? I'm not saying this is your problem and hopefully you don't have any big issues, but hey, it might just be the car. :gotcha:

Good luck with it all.

Aaron :chug:

Might not be the perfect quote Jake... hope you don't mind.

"But most of all...
                          ... I like the way you move......"

Comment

Originally posted by Az in Oz View Post
                            Then I read a comment posted by Jake about the Sparco strut brace and the woes people had fitting them due to the towers being of varied centres and people needing to jack the car up under the front crossmember to fit them.
                            I have this problem too....I need to remove my brace to check/change the spark plugs, but I keep putting it off...not an easy chore. I have a Hartge style brace which is very strong, but I plan to install a Sparco alloy brace that I can "lift" the cross brace by removing one of the bolts when I need to get at the plug wires.

Comment

Thanks to Az in Oz, I'm an Automotive Design engineer and understand fully a tolerance stack-up, even modern cars suffer from this, its just manufacturing.
                              drove my car last night and the tyre didn't rub, must be hediously close though. and it perhaps settled a little once moving, its still about 9.5mm short on the passenger side. I will measure the control arm some time soon and report back, I reckon I can tune this out abit by unbolting it all and reattaching whilst moving the brkts. all holes are oversize so maybe I can get some mm this way.
                              will keep you posted.
                              cheers guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X