Engine bay cleanup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine bay cleanup

Hi all, I wanna give my engine and bay a cleanup and was going to use Gunk or some similar degreasant then wash off with water.
    If this safe to do, or do I risk getting water in places it shouldn't go or damaging gaskets?
    And should I re-coat anything aftrewards to stop corrosion?

thanks

Mark

'90 M3
    '58 Austin Healey Sprite
    '02 Suzuki SV650S

I've used that method to clean my motor several times. I didn't do anything special, just sprayed it on, gave it some time to penetrate, then hosed it off. I just tried to keep the water away from any major electrical components. It's also helpful to let it dry for a while before starting it.

Comment

I use gunk or similar: spray or brush on, leave to soak and then wash off. I use a garden "killer spray" (10 litre pump up cannister for weed killer) filled with hot soapy water. I then rinse with a hose. I usually run the engine before the final hose down and I avoid the distributor cap and alternator and airflow meter.

To protect the metal again, I have used a spray wax from the VW/Audi dealer but it's expensive and collects dirt again very quickly.

Steve
      Steve
      Scottish Cecotto

Comment

I just did this with my engine/bay ... I used the good old car wash(the do it yourseld type).First and most importantly I let my engine cool to the blue. Then I sprayed tire cleaner on the engine the whole two minutes .. (as alowed), I let it penitrate for a while since my engine is cool. Then I just spray it off but I go to this place that has hot presure water so it doesn't leave any waterspots. Then I wait another 10 minutes then start her up.
        Finnally Powered by my ///M3
        1990 E30 M3
        1973 M2

Comment

Cool, thanks guy's. Just wanted to be safe.
          I had a problem years ago on an E30 325i caused by doing this (water got in some electrical connection low down on the engine)

Mags

'90 M3
          '58 Austin Healey Sprite
          '02 Suzuki SV650S

Comment

Working...
          X