Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 04/88 e30 m3 been sitting for 10 years

hello all

My uncle just gave me his 88 m3. The alternator broke 10 yrs ago and he never replaced it. It has sat in his driveway for 10 years. the car has 111,000 miles on it, one owner. it is zinnoberrot. the plastic valences and side mirrors have faded, but the paint is good. no rust upon quick inspection.

i want to get this car running, but i am not interested in pulling the engine and doing a complete work over. i have made a list of a few things that i think need to be replaced since the car has been sitting so long. I was wondering if you guys had some experiences/suggestions as to what a car like this would need replaced. or if you guys knew a good site to help me through this project.

so far:

radiator hoses
    belts
    fluids
    thermostat
    alternator
    vacuum lines
    starter?
    timing chain tensioner??
    water pump??

current plan of attack:

1 drain oil and gas tank, put in new oil and filter
    2 take off hoses, radiator, water pump; and flush it all and check radiator viability
    3 take out plugs, spray in lubricant, use new battery to turn car over (just to see if it turns)
    4 install new vacuum lines, radiator hoses, water pump, flush brake lines, install new alternator, thermostat, belts, coolant.....

now, i have only worked on '86 325e, '80 633 csi, '87 535iS, and '90 e32 750iL.
    i am unfamiliar with the m3s. any tips and advice would be much appreciated.
    Attached Files

my advice,sell it to me
    I have negative feedback on several forums, DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1fastcosmo View Post
      my advice,sell it to me

For $5,000 and not a penny more.... :: evil smile and evil laugh ::

Comment

yeah. it is dirty. i rubbed the 10 yrs of dirt off in a spot by the sunroof (you can see in the pic). and the paint looked as good as my zinnoberrot e28. ill wash it this weekend.

Comment

my guess is you will seriously invest a lot more in it than your thinking after sitting that long.Best of luck though

Comment

This is the perfect site to help you through this project. Your current list sounds like a good start. I would also check the intake manifold gaskets as they are prone to going bad especially on a car that has been sitting as long as yours. The search option will be your new best friend on this site. Maybe even get some local enthusiasts to give you a hand. Again search thoroughly on the sit and then if you can't find dont hesitate to ask. And welcome to the brotherhood.

Comment

Originally posted by Mfanatic View Post
              This is the perfect site to help you through this project. Your current list sounds like a good start. I would also check the intake manifold gaskets as they are prone to going bad especially on a car that has been sitting as long as yours. The search option will be your new best friend on this site. Maybe even get some local enthusiasts to give you a hand. Again search thoroughly on the sit and then if you can't find dont hesitate to ask. And welcome to the brotherhood.
              its a sickness,you'll see haha

Comment

Turn the motor over by hand after lubricating the cylinders.
                Do not use the starter motor.
                Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Lucky you! Now "that" would be a fun project.....hopefully he gave you all the maintenance records along with the car! If not, ask him for them.

There's nothing exotic about this, except that parts for these engines tend to be very expensive (as you might have guessed). 111k miles is nothing on these engines "if" maintained proper. I think your list is fine, so far. Only thing I'd do, after removing the plugs and shooting oil into the cylinders, is I'd put the car in gear on a level surface and try to turn the engine over that way, "without" cranking it with a battery. If the engine isn't seized, then you can proceed toward trying to start it.

Drain the gas tank & clean it out....put new fuel filters on (in the tank as well as in front of the driver side rear wheel. I'd probably turn on the fuel pump without trying to start the car once you have fuel in the tank & lines to prime the lines and remove the inlet line at the rear of the fuel rail to make sure the engine is getting clean fresh fuel. Then, once primed, replace the fuel line on the fuel rail.

You can try to turn it over with the starter, but remove the fuse that operates the fuel pumps (#9?)...so you won't be pumping fuel yet.

Install properly gapped plugs. New air intake filter. Check for cracks/leaks on intake side.

I'd drain all the coolant out and put 50/50 mix of BMW antifreeze & distilled water, or simply buy the pre-mixed antifreeze....you know the drill. Drain the block also...plug on the pass side (as I recall)

As long as the engine isn't seized, and you do all the fluids proper along with clean fuel (used premium!)....you should be good to go...my bet is it will start right up, as long as there's nothing wrong with the engine.

You'll get alot of help on here! Good luck with things and keep us posted,

John

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
                    Turn the motor over by hand after lubricating the cylinders.
                    Do not use the starter motor.

This might be the most underrated and most important piece of information.

Comment

He just gave up on the car because of an alternator??? are you serious?

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                      85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                      91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

This is a very funny story. I agree dumping the car and leaving it OUTSIDE for 10 years is truly amazing! Good luck with it. If you do what you've listed I don't think you'll have any problems.
                        "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

One time I got a flat and donated the car to Rawhide.

Nice little find. Put some atf in the cylinders and turn it over by hand.. I would start there before you invest a dollar. If it turns over then move on. The worst thing about sitting 10 years is that it was outside were there is a lot more moisture.

Good Luck

Comment

If you are new to E30 M3s,,, I would post your location.
                            E30 M3 owners are a giving fraternity.
                            If there are any near you, I'd bet there will be some who would find it fun to help you bring your new find back to life...

Good luck with your new project. Its a great car. You will love it.
                            Cheers
                            jimmy p
                            jimmy p.
                            87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                            88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                            88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                            92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                            98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                            04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

im in louisville ky. cant wait to get this thing movin.

ive got some fellow bmw goons in town; they all want to steal this thing : ).

thanks for the advice guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X