Announcement

Collapse

Session time has been extended...

Instead of 30 minutes, you will be logged into s14.net for 1.5 hours of inactivity before being logged-out. Also instead of having only 30 minutes to edit a post, it has now been extended to 60 minutes.
See more
See less

Advice on Specification of this E30M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Specification of this E30M3

Hi all,

I am trying to determine the specification of this E30M3

VIN Number - WBSAK050X01893224

This is a DS 1987 model. Imported to Australia from Japan

Some extras
    Dogleg Transmission
    No side markers on bumpers

How do I determine whether this is a US Spec, Euro Spec or something else?

Looking forward to some advice

Hi mate.

Euro cars don't have side markers for sure, I can't comment on the Jap cars sorry.

HTH

Ollie

Comment

7th digit ov the VIN is a 3 on all US spec cars.

Comment

If you plug the last 7 digits of the VIN into RealOEM.com, it will give you build month and whether it is Europe or US spec. Your VIN shows a July 1987 build month and that it is a Europe spec car. That will not tell you whether it has the specific Japanese market features though.

Comment

My VIN is very close to yours. My car is a Eurospec with a May 87 build date.

The one noticeable difference between our VINs is the 'X' in yours. I'd suggest looking into that for your answer as it it really the only thing differentiating our VINs.

Comment

The AK05 specifies your car as a European spec 195hp with cat , info courtesy of http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=8.

My M3 was also delivered new in japan , VIN WBSAK050001893765
            build date 04/1988 but not registered until 07/1989 and is also EURO spec with 195bhp with cat . All the info and warning decals are in Japanese along with the service booklet and user manual. The Japan cars had no rear foglight but other than that were the same as any euro spec M3

AK01: European-spec without catalyst (200 hp), 03/86 through 08/89
            AK05: European-spec with catalyst (215 hp), 04/89 through 12/90 includes Cecotto + Ravaglia
            AK01: European-spec Evolution I without catalyst (200 hp), 02/87 through 05/87
            AK01: European-spec Evolution II without catalyst (220 hp), 03/88 through 06/88
            AK07: European-spec Sport Evolution with catalyst (238 hp), 12/89 through 03/90
            AK03: North American-spec with catalyst (192 hp), 03/87 through 12/90
            AK05: European-spec with catalyst (195 hp), 05/86 through 05/89 includes Europa Meister 88

Last edited by bbsrs; 04-07-2010, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Ollie,

Certainly German market cars didn't have side markers, but other European markets like France did.

I am not sure if a Japenese market car would have needed side markers/ indicators.

UK cars needed them but many German market cars imported to UK still don't have them and manage to get through the MOT.

Comment

Originally posted by m3nally View Post
                Ollie,

Certainly German market cars didn't have side markers, but other European markets like France did.

I am not sure if a Japenese market car would have needed side markers/ indicators.

UK cars needed them but many German market cars imported to UK still don't have them and manage to get through the MOT.
                It was possible to order these side markers here in germany as well
                Option was called 860A

but as far as i know the Euro cars were the only ones with the dogleg gearbox and 3,25/3,15 reardiff
                US and Japan models allways had the normal 5 speed one with the 4,10 reardiff or?

Markus

http://www.bmwm3shop.de

Comment

Originally posted by Markus View Post
                  US and Japan models allways had the normal 5 speed one with the 4,10 reardiff or?

Markus
                  There is no specific Japan model its either Euro or US and both spec's were sold in japan depending on what the customer wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                    7th digit ov the VIN is a 3 on all US spec cars.
                    There's your answer. Definitely not a US car.
                    Terrance

Comment

My car has similar specs, '87 DS from Japan. If it's a dogleg it'll be a Euro with a 3.25 diff. Mine is a Euro with sidemarkers. I think I've posted details like this previously but remember that the Japanaese got a mish-mash of Euro and US cars. I thnik the real tell tale is the gearbox/ diff combo.
                      The guys are correct about the "3". That denotes a US car no questions.

Cheers
                      Aaron

"But most of all...
                      ... I like the way you move......"

Comment

AK05 says its a EURO spec WBS AK05 0X01893224

AK01: European-spec without catalyst (200 hp), 03/86 through 08/89
                        AK05: European-spec with catalyst (215 hp), 04/89 through 12/90 includes Cecotto + Ravaglia

AK01: European-spec Evolution I without catalyst (200 hp), 02/87 through 05/87
                        AK01: European-spec Evolution II without catalyst (220 hp), 03/88 through 06/88
                        AK07: European-spec Sport Evolution with catalyst (238 hp), 12/89 through 03/90
                        AK03: North American-spec with catalyst (192 hp), 03/87 through 12/90
                        AK05: European-spec with catalyst (195 hp), 05/86 through 05/89 includes Europa Meister 88

Comment

I now believe that this car is a Euro Spec E30M3.

Thank you everyone for your valued comments. Much Appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Markus View Post
                            but as far as i know the Euro cars were the only ones with the dogleg gearbox and 3,25/3,15 reardiff

Markus
                            That`s correct, Japanese market cars that were built FOR Japan had the same 5 speed
                            and rear diff ratio as the US cars. Everything else was euro market, i.e headlights,cloth seats, etc.. The side markers located on the front fenders are mandatory here in Japan. All E30 M3s here have them in order to pass the "shaken" inspection. Also, many small private dealers imported Euro and US market cars to Japan. Of course, it is also possible that the a previous owner installed the dogleg box and rear diff.
                            Last edited by EDOM3; 04-08-2010, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Here is the spec list of your car, hope it helps..

Can,

'87 E30 M3 (Henna Restoration)
                              '00 E36/8 Z3 M Coupé Turbo
                              '11 E90 320d M Sport

Comment

Working...
                              X