'Ring Report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Ring Report

After starting the weekend before we were due to leave with no front subframe I was quite relieved to get it all together again in good time.....only to find I had a leaking expansion tank <24hours before we had to set-off. The forums saved the day and I found someone 3 miles from my work who had two he could lend me (as these are M3 specific that's quite a bit of luck!)

So about 2 hours before we had to leave I was finally ready! Five of us on the trip, the other car being an £800 530i V8. An un-eventful trip down to an average Folkestone hotel, 6am Eurotunnel, followed by the boredom of Northern France and Belgium, slightly more exciting was finding a red 348 in my mirrors when we got onto the German autobahns.....de-restricted signs and the race was on......he won! :lol:

Arrived to a lovely sunny Nurburg, stopped off at the Burgstube B&B to drop all our bags, tools and spares and catch up with the ever helpful Martin, then headed down to the track.....which was shut as you expect on Easter weekend to remove Muppet from Armco. We ended up doing ~5 laps and stayed right up till 7pm when it was actually nice and quiet. A good warm up, it was taking me a lot longer to get back up to speed than I had imagined after a year off. Oh and this overtook me at one point 8):

The next two days the weather wasn't so good which kept the crowds away, but made it a little too exciting out there to really push (see videos below!). We did a bit of exploring and walked through to spectate at the carousel. The elevation changes are always amazing almost everywhere when you stand by the track, totally lost when driving around! A few laps here and there to check it was still scary and an awesome steak in the Pistenhaus.

It was around this time that the E34 started to play up, it had an intermittent misfire that had been cured by thrashing the hell out of it on the 'ring...this remedy wasn't final though and after checking all the plugs and coils, we realised we had an inline-4 530i and had to admit defeat!

The M3 was still carrying on faultlessly, pretty surprising considering it's hasty rebuild, it was also getting lots of attention, especially with it's new improved carbon airbox soundtrack. I got a standing ovation from 3 spectators every time I came past!

Monday morning and sunshine! A couple of pre-9am laps to warm up (once the ice has thawed) and then it's off to the GP track which is open for Tourist driving too. Typical German style, rock up pay 30 Euros for a 20 min session and get on with it...I realised I had no idea where this track actually went but it was much more interesting in a road car than I had imagined. Lots of space to play circus driving (videos to follow) and even the breaks held up to the heavy stops into the first hair-pin (that's the 4th 'ring trip for this set of Pagid pads!)

So after a couple more laps of the Nordshleife to enjoy the dry conditions it was time to make the long trip home. The RAC had taken the 5-series to a garage and supplied a suitably race replacement (Dacia Logan diesel). We drove with that back to the ferry port, two of the lads boarded as foot passengers and were given another hire on the other side (not bad service for £50). We took the luggage and went on the tunnel, held it at a constant 100 to stay awake and we arrived back in need of lots of sleep...all worth it though!

Videos:
    Nice clear lap, bit damp in parts
    Getting slippery!
    Almost too slippery...

GP Track Playtime!

Last edited by caneswell; 04-09-2010, 09:44 PM.
    If everything seems under control, then you're just not going fast enough...

Nice.
    Car sounds good.
    Pretty slick mounting for the recorder
    I hear that they are cracking down on In car recording.

m

Comment

spitting flames!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00hOTqA-g2w

or istn't that you...

Comment

nice...

the GP circuit is great fun with its wide run-off areas.
        I had the pleasure mid march for 2 hours, where 1.5 hours have been wet.
        Real good fun with lots of opportunity for 3rd gear drifting...

Thomas
        sigpic

Comment

good stuff....why does the recorder say 1/1/08?

what wheels/tires are you running.......car specs?

i love seeing them golfs n a3s go wizzing by on your right.
          Last edited by PostmasterNY; 04-10-2010, 09:08 AM.
          JAMES
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hardtailer View Post
            spitting flames!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00hOTqA-g2w

or istn't that you...
            Ace, I've wanted that on film for years! Thanks!

The recorder seems to always say that date, i've no idea how to change it. It cost £35 including a memory card so it's not the most user friendly! Decent quality though.

Car is a 215 bhp Euro spec with 160k miles, Carbon Airbox with Maxx Alpha N and Pagid RS29 pads (now on their 4th 'ring trip!). Uwe's offset front top mounts and stiffer bushes, everything else is standard including springs, dampers and swaybars.
            If everything seems under control, then you're just not going fast enough...

Comment

I was there on friday saw 1 e30 m3, I had a 800 mile round trip and two 16 hour ferries and one lap due to amount of muppets on friday

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by caneswell View Post
                ...then headed down to the track.....which was shut as you expect on Easter weekend to remove Muppet from Armco. We ended up doing ~5 laps and stayed right up till 7pm when it was actually nice and quiet.

did you see my car with the hoards of neon suits bulldozing me at the entrance?

I bought a year pass, did two laps and got pulled over for a random inspection. German plates + US Forces in Europe registration + no documentation (T.U.V.) of added parts created quite a shit storm:shit:

So far to date, the nurburgring has cost me 537.5 euro per lap :nesaw:

Lap 2:

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
                they are not idiots.

Comment

eric your cars sick man, you never sent me that hi res I wanted!
                  @slowprogress

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                    did you see my car with the hoards of neon suits bulldozing me at the entrance?

I bought a year pass, did two laps and got pulled over for a random inspection. German plates + US Forces in Europe registration + no documentation (T.U.V.) of added parts created quite a shit storm:shit:

So far to date, the nurburgring has cost me 537.5 euro per lap :nesaw:

I knew your car from an internet picture and went over to have a look at it. The different instrument cluster and cruise control was the give away that it was a us spec E30. It was after you had been refused and the car had already been parked up across the road for a couple of days.
                    Had I bumped into the owner/you I would have asked you:

what 5 lug parts are you running? M3 E30 or E36 compact?
                    Did you have to cut out the wheel arches or have you only fitted the wheel arch ‘extenders’?
                    What car were they originally intended for? They’re metal right?

I think your car looks purposeful and like it!

I was there with a black 2dr 320is but spent most time on the track over those 4 Easter days.

Comment

Working...
                    X