Garage broken into car damaged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage broken into car damaged

Last night my off-site garage was broken into and my Zinno M3 took some collateral damage. They drove a truck through the garage door hit the rear of the car and rolled it forward a few inches into the seat that were in front of the car. Car seems to run and drive fine although it was in gear when the impact occurred. I think the only thing that prevented a total loss of the car was a dead-bolt that I installed through the garage door prevented them from raising the door completely.

among the things stolen:

DS1 e36 CSL wheels and R888 tires
    AC Schnitzer winter use wheels and Conti extreme winter contact tires

Valentine1
    Garmin GPS
    M-Tech1 steering wheel
    Of all F'ing things the airbag insert to the original steering wheel from my 91 m3.

I have to do an inventory to get a complete list.

Items damaged:

Front and rear bumper covers, wheel well trim, rear wing, center trunk panel, exhaust tips broken off, belly pan torn from front lip,

Spare sport seats that I had sitting in front of the car, passenger seat is not caved in on one side.

Now of course the fear is that Allstate will try to total the car. It has 240k glorious miles in it and ran like a champ last week at the track, getting some nice points from much higher horsepower cars.
    Last edited by junkyard_sal; 04-28-2010, 06:39 AM. Reason: The forged ones were not stolen just plain DS1s
    1989 e30 m3 Zinnoberrot/Grey 256k Track/M3T
    1991 e30 m3 Alpinweiß/Schwartz 81k Garage Queen
    1991 325iX Diamantschwarz/M-Tech 110k Snowmobile (For Sale)
    1991 325ic Macau Blau/M-Tech 178k M-Tech Cabrio 5spd (For Sale)
    2002 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 Vortec, Alison Tranny, 4.10 gears

That sucks!

Hopefully Allstate will play nice, otherwise, start reading up an all the previous insurance related threads.

Best of luck!

Nick

Comment

Check you PM's shortly.

-Chris
      Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

That sucks! Good luck with things.

Comment

sorry to hear that good luck

Comment

sorry to hear that, hope everything works out for you.

Comment

Looks more like somebody knows that you have an M3 and have been targeting your garage. And they know what you have inside the garage that they know what to take. Do I smell a rat like an inside job by an acquaintance of yours? Hmmmm......I know I am synical of things like this.
              Lawrence

BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742
              '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen
              '09 540i Touring 6 Spd - Son's DD
              '03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD
              '03 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - My DD & Range truck
              '05 330i ZHP 6 Spd - Alternate DD
              '15 Honda Pilot - Daughter's & Grandkids Hauler

Comment

Sucks to be raped. ;-(

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                1989 M3 racecar
                e39 Touring

Comment

sorry to hear this. My house got broken into, I know how angry you must feel.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

sorry man, that sucks

Comment

Originally posted by Das Boots View Post
                      Looks more like somebody knows that you have an M3 and have been targeting your garage. And they know what you have inside the garage that they know what to take. Do I smell a rat like an inside job by an acquaintance of yours? Hmmmm......I know I am synical of things like this.
                      i was thinking on same lines. somebody cased your place well, or had been in there before to know what you had. is your garage visible from the street? ever leave the door open allowing folks to see what you have?

regardless...sorry to hear what happened. argh.
                      75 M2
                      88 M3

Comment

that majorly sucks, good luck dealing with allstate.
                        Garage alarm and video surveillance should be your next steps

Comment

That sucks. I hope the garage has cameras to help catch those bastards.

Comment

F'ing scumbags. Does the garage have video monitoring?

Best of luck man :(

Comment

The garage is across a public park and stream along an alley. I can see it from my house. Kids take "safety" breaks under the bridge across the stream.

My plan is the get a 3" cast iron pipe and some hinges that can be installing/drill directly into the front concrete of the garage. I plan to fill the pipe with rebar enforced concrete and then install a hardened lock receiver. The pipe will be installed just over bumper height so that I future attempted intrusion using an auto will destroy the auto. I wish that they would have used a chain to pull the door forward rather than driving through the door.

A security system is also being installed.

Like I said the deadbolt probably kept the car in the garage and at least they did not destroy the dash removing the stereo or pry open the trunk and remove the Snap-On tools that were in the trunk after coming home from the track, or the Longacre stuff, or my helmet, or............

It sucks, I feel like shit. That car was a pile of poop a less than a year ago and this past weekend it ran strong in a run group that included a Ferrari 430, two 997 GT3s, an e92 m3, a supercharged Z4 3.0, a 335i, and about 8 ratted out, caged and stripped e36 m3s, plus 3 street trim e36 m3s. The Ferrari driver was terrible and I got a point from him that felt awfully damn good. I got more points than I gave but most of all I knew that when I got a point I was earning it and for that I really love these cars and I love this ex-pile of a car that I feel like I have made my own.

It is just stuff and there is not enough damage to total the car. (Even using KBB value for a "good" car with 240000 miles is roughly 7300 and 75% of that is roughly 5500) The body shop says no panels will be removed (still all matching VINs), but this might be the time that the front lip and rear wing need to be replaced with Chicco's EVO2 front lip and splitter and EVO3 wing.

If anyone sees my stuff on Craiglist or eBay let me know.
                              Last edited by junkyard_sal; 04-28-2010, 12:45 PM.
                              1989 e30 m3 Zinnoberrot/Grey 256k Track/M3T
                              1991 e30 m3 Alpinweiß/Schwartz 81k Garage Queen
                              1991 325iX Diamantschwarz/M-Tech 110k Snowmobile (For Sale)
                              1991 325ic Macau Blau/M-Tech 178k M-Tech Cabrio 5spd (For Sale)
                              2002 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 Vortec, Alison Tranny, 4.10 gears

Comment

Working...
                              X