Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

subframe reinforcement kits necessary or overkill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by infanterene View Post
    Sorry to revive a 2 yr old thread but I am having the same issue. Can the Turner subframe reinforcement kit be installed without removing the motor?
    An engine support brace makes it easy to pull the entire subframe while leaving the motor in the car. It rests in the hood rain channels and hooks onto the front lift point.
    2011 BMW M3 Alpinweiß
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD
    1990 325is Brilliantrot

1989 M3 Alpinweiß
    Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Hers: 1989 325iX Zinnoberrot

Comment

I used one of these when installing motor mounts:
      http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...bar-96524.html

Supplied chains are too big to fit through the loop at the front of the engine. Had to use some load rated webbing I had laying around.

-chris
      1988 M3
      2007 Lotus Exige S

Comment

Yes, you do have to remove the subframe though. It can be done with the car on jack stands and a jack supporting the motor. If jacking up the motor you have to be careful not to crack the oil pan. When I did mine I used a section of 2x6 that spanned the width of the pan. Another way to support the motor is to use an engine support from above as these guys posted..
        Last edited by Mick; 02-15-2012, 03:57 AM.

Comment

FWIW, I've owned 3 non-tracked E30/S14 cars and all three had cracked front subframe motor mount pads. Stock suspension. IMO, they all need to be reinforced when the opportunity comes up. And it doesn't matter if it's the later reinforced version or not. The factory reinforcements do not address the problem area around the motor mount stud hole.

Jake
          Last edited by Jake; 02-15-2012, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am thinking about finding another subframe, adding the reinforcements, powder coating it and then swapping it for mine. Can I use any e30 subframe?

Comment

Can I use any e30 subframe?
              Yes.

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E30 325is / E30 318i / E36 ti / Alfa Romeo

Comment

i have had three M3s and drove them alll with vigor but never raced and all had subframe cracks or busted bolts in every aspect of thier lives re-inforce everything you can
                Mike

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am thinking about finding another subframe, adding the reinforcements, powder coating it and then swapping it for mine. Can I use any e30 subframe?
                  Thats what I did. Standard E30 subframes are el-cheapo at the wrecking yards. Main reason...grinding / cutting out the original reinforcement on the M3 subframe to weld in the new reinforcement is pretty time consuming.

Some pics if it helps...

A standard E30 subframe with the reinforcement laying on the inside before being welded.

w/ the inside and outside welded up.

Before you have it powder coated, be sure to pop a mount or bolt through the hole and make sure you can easily get a socket on the nut. You may have to enlarge the hole a little to make it easier to get a socket in there. Sucks if you have to grind away a freshly powdercoated finish.
                  1988 E30 M3 S38
                  1970 E10 2002 S14

Comment

Early E30 M3s had a reinforced front subframe from the factory, which was not the same as the standard E30 subframe.
                    My M3 (12/87 build date, 184K) had the factory-reinforced front subframe. It was damaged a couple of years ago when I straddled something I shouldn't have. Fortunately, the oil pan was untouched, and I was able to drive the car home, though the bent subframe altered the toe-in. I bought a standard E30 subframe from a junkyard and had the Turner reinforcements welded in. I then cleaned it and repainted with hi-temp black paint.
                    I used a scissor type transmission jack to support the engine while swapping the subframes. I also took the opportunity to replace the engine mounts. I have tracked my car on a few occasions, but there were no cracks at the motor mount tabs.
                    Several years ago, I did the sway bar tab reinforcements on the front strut housings when I installed the Bilstein Sports. I am still running stock sway bars.
                    Last edited by John Arnold; 02-17-2012, 05:18 PM.
                    John
                    88 ///M3 Cinnabar
                    84 318i Black
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X