Back in action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in action

After my lower pan took a hit from someones drive shaft they left on 270 my baby was wounded. Now she has a newused lower pan and protection!

I like that and where did you buy that. I need one

Comment

Julian, you need to make that trip to NJ to Vlad's meet! Good way to test that
      skid plate you got there.

Comment

looks good!
        Do you have another picture showing where the tubular brace attaches to the frame?
        What is the plate material and thickness?

Thomas
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chutrain View Post
          Julian, you need to make that trip to NJ to Vlad's meet! Good way to test that
          skid plate you got there.

I have skid plates on all my e30 !

http://www.raceskids.com/joomla/

Comment

The skid plate that the OP posted is from www.E30motorwerks.com.
            Here's a thread about them:
            http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74760

It's a very sturdy unit!

Comment

Will - I am prepared now for the NJ trip!!!

I looked at both options:

The Race Skids unit is mounted via the steering rack bolts and 7 bolts that you must drill through the bottom of the core support just below the radiator. Vlad I know you have this unit. So maybe you can address the pros and cons on it.

The E30 Motor Werks unit bolts up to the steering rack bolts as well but you weld in the hoop feet. The hoop then bolts up to the hoop feet. This thing is heavy duty. I do not know the actually gauge of the metal but I have no worries now.

Next time I have her on the rack I will get some shots of the frame mounting. That could be tomorrow or a week or two. I am working on a solution to modify the belly pan. The skid plate pushes it low. So I want to do a bit of clean up on that. Less worries about the things I come across at speed on the road. Now I have a spare lower pan and one to tig up.

Laters,
              Julian

Comment

I had to have one made many years ago since nothing sturdy was available and I didn't want my Gr.A pan damaged. It's mounted using nutserts installed in the subframe and rails (ala E36 x-brace).

In case anyone wants to see a modified design, or how to alter the one the OP posted, here you go. (I'm only posting this in case someone wants to avoid drilling new holes or welding things up...)

Nick

PS
                Please excuse the leaking engine...a full rebuild took care of that

Comment

Nick,
                  I was toying with the nutserts idea when I installed mine. I do like what you have. Did you use the existing holes in that area of the frame? I am toying with some other ideas for skid plates for other areas of the underbody. yes you have full coverage of your Grp A pan!!!

Julian

Comment

Julian,

Yes, used existing holes. They turned out to be the same size on both the subframe and the rails.

I've been toying with protecting the inner halfshaft boots after one got torn by...something, but really haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'd be interested in seeing/hearing what other areas you come up with covering.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                    X