Problems with cops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with cops?

Anybody had a problem with getting pulled over because of having race seats an a roll bar.Would love to have that in my car but scares me !car looks like a race car .Is it allowed to have race seats and a roll bar?
    regards
    koray

http://s871.photobucket.com/albums/a...treise2006/M3/

If you're being pulled over it's probably because of the stickers. I think (not sure) there might even be laws that prohibit having racing numbers on a street car. Let's say your car is not very subtle and cops will probably think you're another ricer, which are known to install very unsafe ricer parts, raising many questions about the car's safety. I had myself many cars with rollbars and never attracted attention because of them.

Rollbars are legit as the car's intitial integrity is not altered. You may want to have your car inspected and get issued some type of approval paper by your local DOT. If a cop stops you, just show the form.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
    1989 M3 racecar
    e39 Touring

Comment

I see you're in Bradenton (Manatee County). I'm from Sarasota (grew up there), and I don't recall Florida being at all tough on modified cars. Florida doesn't even inspect cars anymore, as I understand. You could always just stop by the County Sheriff's office and ask someone...couldn't hurt. Florida is great (no Local & State Income Taxes!...leaves alot more money for buying car stuff!).

John

Comment

In most states, rollbars are completely legal, as are race seats...

Five or six point harnesses are illegal to use on the streets in most states, and for good reason (very difficult to look behind you when strapped in).

If you are concerned about getting stopped by the cops, I would keep a quiet muffler on the car and try not to speed too much. I don't think cops care about roll bars.

Comment

if anyone tried to tell me that a 5-6 point harness is not as good/legal as a 3 point harness, I would laugh in their face. I don't think most traffic laws specifiy TYPE of belts anywaty.. .. for example see the texas law
          http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/directo...n/seatbelt.htm

One is far more likely to be pulled over with stickers/decals, but only because one " looks" fast. But as long as the car is legal, you should be fine.
          Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 05-20-2010, 06:23 AM.
          Mark Williams
          Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
            if anyone tried to tell me that a 5-6 point harness is not as good/legal as a 3 point harness, I would laugh in their face.http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/directo...n/seatbelt.htm
            Dee-Oh-Tee. The original 3-point belts were DOT approved with the car when it was homologated. The aftermarket 5-6 point harnesses aren't approved. So, in front of the law, the harnesses are illegal.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
            1989 M3 racecar
            e39 Touring

Comment

if anyone tried to tell me that a 5-6 point harness is not as good/legal as a 3 point harness, I would laugh in their face. I don't think most traffic laws specifiy TYPE of belts anywaty.. .. for example see the texas law

One is far more likely to be pulled over with stickers/decals, but only because one " looks" fast. But as long as the car is legal, you should be fine.
              Having a roomate as an EMT, it more comes down to getting the individual out of the car in an accident. 3 point belts are uniform in every car. 5/6 point belts add levels of difficulty to remove an individual when/if the car is hanging upside down or on it's side. Slicing off seatbelts should be one of the last things the EMT is focused on when you've had an accident.

That being said, I drove for 1.5 summers with Recaro racing shells, a roll bar, and red Schroth belts. I got stopped more during that time period than any other time. The police would see the bright red belts, and the big "RECARO" emblazoned across the seat headrest and I'd get pulled over.

Installed OEM seats, and with no change in driving style, I haven't been stopped once since.
              Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Originally posted by LeeVuong View Post

Rollbars are legit as the car's intitial integrity is not altered. You may want to have your car inspected and get issued some type of approval paper by your local DOT. If a cop stops you, just show the form.

Lee,

I have had several conversations with the ministry of transportation on roll bars and race belts. I got the same answer from 2 different people.

Both could not point me to the page in the highway traffic act stating that the roll bars are illegal and was told they are technically not. Then both members of the OHTA mention that Ontario Provincial Police have full digression on this matter even though the law isnít clear as strange as this might sound. Bottom line if they pull you over and feel its unsafe its illegal. If they pull you over and have a love for automobiles your home free.

It falls under the same category as DB ratings and exhaust noise. We donít have a set limit and itís the cops digression to issue a ticket.

IMO its just as bogus as the street racing laws when your doing 50km/h. It all comes down to a power struggle between police, public, lobbyists and good old fashion income.

Attention getting car? I would say not really its always the driver that is purposely attracting it
                Project M3 - Part Sell Off

Comment

I would say it depends more on the cops in your area. When I was living in Daytona Beach, cops would pull over anyone that even looked "suspicious", whereas in DFW you'd have to be doing something really stupid like speeding a lot or racing another fellow idiot on public roads. In Miami, I don't think almost anyone gets pulled over for speeding or condition of their vehicle.

I've driven my car both with decals on it and without (moreso the latter). The car is not "quiet" but not obnoxiously loud either. The orange cage is clearly visible through non-tinted glass. Oh, and I use my Florida tags in Texas so you'd think I'd be any easier target.

If I do ever get pulled over, as long as my lights work, my cat is visible, the windshield wiper works, the horn honks, and I am strapped in with harnesses, the cop would have to be a real douche to give me a ticket, but that is more a personal issue than a legal issue. Crappy cops that want to ruin your day exist in any state, regardless if it is a M3 with cage or a Buick Lesabre.

Nick
                  Last edited by Nikos; 05-20-2010, 07:53 AM.

Comment

I am not talking about "good"...I am talking about legal only.

Remember all the years that POS sealed beam headlights were the only legal headlights in the USA, while the vastly superior (in all ways) quartz halogen lights were illegal?

In the case of proper racing seatbelts, they do have a point on street cars. As I said, when strapped into my car I have trouble looking back well enough to even change lanes safely. I am sure in a crash you would be better off with a racing harness, but there are other considerations for street legal vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
                      In the case of proper racing seatbelts, they do have a point on street cars. As I said, when strapped into my car I have trouble looking back well enough to even change lanes safely. I am sure in a crash you would be better off with a racing harness, but there are other considerations for street legal vehicles.
                      With properly adjusted mirrors there is no reason to look back, a quick glance left or right to check your side and you should be good to go.

The only real problem I've had with harnesses is when I go and try to back up. I usually get pissed off and take off the harness so I can turn around and guide myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtsquirt View Post
                        The only real problem I've had with harnesses is when I go and try to back up. I usually get pissed off and take off the harness so I can turn around and guide myself.
                        Which is probably why the 3-point belts are judged superior by DOT. People have to back-up sometimes... :hippy:

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                        1989 M3 racecar
                        e39 Touring

Comment

5 point harness makes it almost impossible to look over your shoulder unless your straps are a little loose.....so changing lanes are more difficult....must rely more on the mirrors.

cops shouldn't mess with you if you have cage and race seats.....unless that specific cop has it out for motorsport cars.
                          JAMES
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LeeVuong View Post
                            Dee-Oh-Tee. The original 3-point belts were DOT approved with the car when it was homologated. The aftermarket 5-6 point harnesses aren't approved. So, in front of the law, the harnesses are illegal.
                            :nope:

From the website above per the TX law....

(3) "Safety belt" means a lap belt and any shoulder straps included as original equipment on, or added to a vehicle.

4) "Secured," in connection with use of a safety belt, means using the lap belt and any shoulder straps according too the instructions of:

(A) the manufacturer of the vehicle, if the safety belt is original equipment; or

(B) the manufacturer of the safety belt, if the safety belt has been added to the vehicle.

So that makes my aftermarket 6 point harness certainly legal as long as it is installed per the manufacturer spec. I'll wager that most states are the same, and that the letters D, O, and T have little if anything to do with it.

For the purpose of the original poster, who resides in Florida.... it looks like FL Statute 316.614 applies.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...316/Sec614.HTM

which them goes on to specify that belts must comply with the federal law..

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 208, 49 C.F.R. s. 571.208 which is here..

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...0163348008f2b3

From there the number of permutations and possibilities is literally dizzying... but if anyone reads through all that and finds conclusively that a multi point option is NOT acceptable... by all means let me know :evilnah:
                            Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 05-20-2010, 09:51 AM.
                            Mark Williams
                            Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Believe it or not, the real requirement for seat belts to be DOT-legal is an orange release pushbutton. That rules out camlocks and other race-style harness releases. There is a model of Schroth belts that does meet the standard, though.
                              Seattle, WA
                              currently:
                              1988 M3 ex j-stock
                              1984 911 RoW 3.2
                              http://cars.g93.net

Comment

Working...
                              X