X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric
    replied
    Originally posted by ADA///M
    WHOA....i dont like any of these start up procedures i am hearing..AT ALL...

IMHO....

DO NOT START THE CAR AND REV IT TO ANY RPM AND KEEP IT THERE

DO NOT LET TEH CAR IDLE TO WARM UP

You want to start the car and get to drving...keeping it in the 2 to 3k range to start and under 4k until the oil temp gets passed 120....The coolant gauge means nothing for engine temp...ignore that...not until the oil temp is up do you want to exceed 4K...

Thats my opinion

werd....

I can let it idle for 15 minutes, and the oil temp is still cold. you have to drive it easy for a bit to let the car warm up.

Leave a comment:

• kmicinski
    replied
    You definately want to wait 20 or 30 seconds to go ahead and get oil recirculating through your valve train and back down into the oil pan

Leave a comment:

• SJJ28
    replied
    Thanks!!

Leave a comment:

• M3Pilot
    replied
    Here you go Steve

12 62 1 710 512 Coolant temp sensor

Leave a comment:

• SJJ28
    replied
    does anyone have the P/N for the coolant temp sensor? Thanks!!

I think thats what the problem is on mine

Leave a comment:

• AlpineRunner
    replied
    Can someone explain why it is bad for it to warm up at idle? My car is at home in the gargage (I'm at school) and there is no one at my house that knows how to drive a stick. Thus it usually gets the warmup at idle treatment ever couple weeks (along with letting the parking brake up and letting it rollback a couple inhes to avoid flatspots on the tires).

Leave a comment:

• AdamF 88iS
    replied
    Originally posted by Bavarian3
    I personally thought it was good to let the car warm up for 2 minutes / 3 minutes at idle and then go the way that Adam says... No?
    No. All that does is make the water temp gauge go up; and usually only half of the water is getting warm because you'd have to let it idle for a long time before the thermostat opened for full circulation. It also does almost nothing for oil temp which is what really matters.

Leave a comment:

• SeattleE30///M3
    replied
    Start up procedure:

Turn the key and start it up:
    wait about 15 seconds for the oil to pressurize and reach your valvetrain/cams, and begin driving but don't exceed 3K for a while... hit 4K after it warms up a little bit... after it warms up fully, drive it like you stole it.

Don't let it idle for minutes in the beginning, it is not that great for the car...

Leave a comment:

• M3Solo2
    replied
    Hey guys,
    If you can't fire up and go without having to do 1- 3 min. or 2K rpm warm-up heroics to keep your S14 lit or to get it running smooth, something is amiss. I fire mine up, and if its really cold, like <30 F, give it a small blip just to settle the idle and clear about 1K rpm, and off we go to the nearest Starbucks!

Plugs, cap, rotor, plug wires are possible culprits, as are vacuum leaks, but the one I would check first is the coolant temp sensor - that's where the injection system gets its engine temp info from.

I like what I hear about the iggo chip - sounds like it is doing what my right foot does!

Leave a comment:

• Bavarian3
    replied
    I personally thought it was good to let the car warm up for 2 minutes / 3 minutes at idle and then go the way that Adam says... No?

Leave a comment:

• AdamF 88iS
    replied
    Originally posted by ADA///M

IMHO....

You want to start the car and get to drving...keeping it in the 2 to 3k range to start and under 4k until the oil temp gets passed 120....The coolant gauge means nothing for engine temp...ignore that...not until the oil temp is up do you want to exceed 4K...

Thats my opinion
    Yup.

Leave a comment:

• ADA///M
    replied

IMHO....

Thats my opinion

Leave a comment:

• SeattleE30///M3
    replied
    Try checking your plugs... and then check your cap & rotor too. Getting new gapped plugs did wonders for my car. It sounds completely different when you turn the key now and no more XXXXy jeeby shakes for the first couple minutes...

Leave a comment:

• Robert M
    replied
    I've got a much better solution than all of the above: iggomotiv chip!!!

I just got the release version (I live local and he wanted me to try it out). They did some kind of magic with the cold start fuel map or something and the car is night and day better in the cold. Now when its 30 out and I start the car it just sits there and idles. When you use the gas going through the grears it doesn't feel like it doesn't want to go either. The car is WAY better in the cold. I can't even describe it. Pretend brand new Honda accord cold start or something like that. Power improvements aside, the chip was worth the money just for the cold weather starts.

Robert M

Leave a comment:

• Bavarian3
    replied
    I never liked the idea of holding the throttle at a certain RPM to warm the car up. I know people who start the car right up and rev it in the parking lot, a lot of good that does. Just my $.02

Leave a comment:

Working...
X