Caveats to using reground cams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caveats to using reground cams?

Is there anything I should be wary of if I choose to go with reground E3/E2 cams?

Valvesprings will be replaced as well, but is this an unwise decision?

Cheers.

Anyone? Reground cams? Good or bad?

Comment

Smaller base circle, means thick shims, or possibly lash caps. Just be ready to have yer car out of commision, while you order the necessary shims after the cam install.

-jonathan
      '07 E86 M Coupe Interlagos (Daily Driver)
      '91 E30 M3 Alpine White (Track car)

Comment

why bother? for the extra effort needed, you waste too much time when you could have got the schricks or real evo cams and you would be done in a day, not a few weeks... just my 2 cents.
        Ryan G. MotorWorks

'72 2002tii Inka/Black (Restoring- then FS)
        '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
        '04 Mini Cooper S 6spd White/Black
        http://www.ryangmw.com

Comment

you sae a TONNNNN, that is the only good thing. or you can buy some cams from jack money for cheap
          "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
          "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
          onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

I have a 272 reground intake cam from DSR that I installed when I also installed a VAC stg2 head(mild porting, stock valves). The car made 24rwhp more than stock, no complaints here. Cost was $400 including lash caps IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan B
              Smaller base circle, means thick shims, or possibly lash caps. Just be ready to have yer car out of commision, while you order the necessary shims after the cam install.

-jonathan
              Exactly right. The main problems with this are that you may run out of adjustment range, and thicker shims mean more weight! Every gram of weight you stack onto the valve train makes a difference.

Comment

Working...
              X