Announcement

Collapse

Session time has been extended...

Instead of 30 minutes, you will be logged into s14.net for 1.5 hours of inactivity before being logged-out. Also instead of having only 30 minutes to edit a post, it has now been extended to 60 minutes.
See more
See less

Delrin control arm bushing questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delrin control arm bushing questions.

Once the weather breaks here in New England I'm doing a suspension overhaul on my car. Amoung the many parts I have to install are a pair of Delrin control arm bushings. I have a couple of questions about them:

1) When I test fit these bushings onto my new control arms they slide right on, there is no resistance at all. In fact they're a bit loose. From everything I've read the control arms need to be coaxed into the bushings with a lubricant (like spit ). Are Delrin bushings different? Are they supposed to be that loose? Why?

2) I've read that because these bushings aren't pressed into the lollipop but instead use a plate to sandwich them in there's a chance that they can rotate. Most people drill the lollipop and insert a set screw to keep them from rotating. Has anyone here done this? Any advice?
    (Seems Tony is having the same issue with his PowerFlex bushings)

3) I spent a bit of time last night reading old posts on the sig about Delrin bushings. A lot of people argued that they are too stiff and not a good idea because they put undue stress on the ball joints. The tracks here in the Northeast are pretty rough, especially the transition between turns 9&10 at NHIS, which is where this car will see 60% of it's track miles. If that's the case are they a bad choice for me?

Thanks
    -Mick

I have Will's delrin bushings in my Silver car for years and have had no issues with them at all.
    To answer your questions...

1) The Turner ones I have needed to be pressed into the lollipop,, then lubed and pressed onto the control arm. They were in no way loose anywhere.

2) I dont know about the ones with the sandwich plate, but mine are definitely pressed into the lollipops. They do need a set screw though.
    I drilled and tapped the lollipop and the bushing and added a set screw in each.

3) They have not broken anything on my car in the years they have been on there. I also live in the northeast,,, although I have never been to NHIS, Pocono has never been accused of being smooth, no problems here.

FWIW, I'd never do them on a street car, or even a double duty car as the occasional pothole probably "would" damage some stuff,,, but in a track only car (trailer to track, run on track, trailer home) they are fine. It really made a noticeable improvement over stock on my car.
    I know there are LOTS of guys banging around racer tracks with Will's bushings so I am feeling pretty good about those.

Whos bushings are those? Not familiar with the plate concept...
    HTH
    jimmy p.
    jimmy p.
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
    92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
    98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
    04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

I got those from Bavarian Autosport. I don't recall who the manufacturer is, although it says on the packaging, I'll have to check tonight. I'm not crazy about the plate design and didn't realize that Turners were press in, I thought they were all the plate type. I'm starting to think they were a bad choice.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

I'm with Jimmy P, have the TMS ones, no issues at all.

They are most definitely pressed in.

They are VERY STIFF and offer no deflection at all.

Do not click
        At least it's German

Comment

Working...
        X