Air conditioner part ID.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air conditioner part ID.

I know this is part of the air conditioning system but I don't know what it is. It is located up front right behind the passenger headlight. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files

Drying Container, assuming you're talking about the unit with the clear window.

Originally posted by drinaldis
    I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

I believe it is the drying container - #18

Comment

Yep, that is what I was looking for, thanks a lot. It is leaking oil or the lines on top are.

Comment

That's the receiver/drier. Your A/C lines look pretty good....does your A/C work? If so, all you might need to do is tighten the fittings...."carefully" using two wrenches. You might have lost a little refrigerant & oil is all. If you open up the system for repairs, the receiver drier will need to be replaced...otherwise I wouldn't replace it, if the A/C works.

Comment

on a different note/slightly off-topic, but can one tell by looking at the lines and such whether the system still has R12 in it or has been replaces (or topped up) by/with R134?
            My AC works but probably no longer as it did 22 years ago.
            Last edited by hardtailer; 07-04-2010, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hardtailer View Post
              on a different not, i.e. slightly off-topic but can one tell by looking at the lines and such whether the system still has R12 in it or has been replaces (or topped up) by/with R134?
              My AC works but probably no longer as it did 22 years ago.
              If your system was replaced with R134a the schrader valves on the low & high side lines "will not" be the same as the original R12 valves...typically, the new valves will have colored plastic caps. Blue on the low side, red on the high side line. The original R12 caps on the schrader valves are metal. R123a fittings/threads are totally different also. If the car was switched, whoever did it should have placed a sticker stating what is in the system.

I am in the process of troubleshooting my original R12 system....I am going to use Freeze 12 and "not" do the swap to R134a unless absolutely necessary, as it is just not as good as R12 and it operates on higher pressures than the R12.

Do not mix R12 with R134a as they are totally different and use different refrigerant oil.
              Last edited by 02fanatic; 07-04-2010, 03:40 AM.

Comment

can't tell from that pic alone. if it's been converted, the old r12 shrader valves (identical to your tire valve stems) will have adapters screwed onto them
                James
                sigpic

Comment

I know this is part "19" pressure switch but does anyone know if it is for low or high. I suspect it is a low pressure switch and there is no fitting for this switch on the dryer/receiver conversion to R134a from the dealer. My dealer didn't know what this part is for. I made a jumper wire for this deleted item. Any one else deal with this on their R134 conversion?
                  Attached Files
                  There'll be Spandex jackets one for everyone ...

Comment

that is the low pressure switch. if you follow bmw's directions, they say to retrofit a single pressure switch and jumper one of the existing switches.

i still have both switches in my converted car. my drier had provisions for both and another port where my high pressure port is mounted
                    James
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 02fanatic View Post
                      If your system was replaced with R134a the schrader valves on the low & high side lines "will not" be the same as the original R12 valves...typically, the new valves will have colored plastic caps. Blue on the low side, red on the high side line. The original R12 caps on the schrader valves are metal. R123a fittings/threads are totally different also. If the car was switched, whoever did it should have placed a sticker stating what is in the system.

I am in the process of troubleshooting my original R12 system....I am going to use Freeze 12 and "not" do the swap to R134a unless absolutely necessary, as it is just not as good as R12 and it operates on higher pressures than the R12.

Do not mix R12 with R134a as they are totally different and use different refrigerant oil.
                      thanks for the reply, I'll have a look.

Comment

I looked and it's still R12. No colour coded caps, no adapters screwed on just the schrader valves (albeit bigger than on the wheels)
                        Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by hardtailer View Post
                          I looked and it's still R12. No colour coded caps, no adapters screwed on just the schrader valves (albeit bigger than on the wheels)
                          Thanks again.
                          Just because there aren't any retrofit valves with colored caps doesn't mean that it's R12....could be an R12 alternative refrigerant in there. I found out after talking with the previous owner of my car that it had already been charged with Freeze 12 previously and it's bone stock in appearance. No biggie though as they are compatible anyway.

Personally, I like the R12 schrader valve threaded fittings much better than the R134a coupler style fittings for those who convert to R134a, etc. BTW, it's entirely possible to use removable conversion fittings when using R134a but leaving the stock looking threaded fittings (for stock appearance).....the high-side fitting next to the fender/hood opening is so close to the hood hinge, an extended fitting there (when converted to another refrigerant) won't work anyway....the hinge either won't close or it will be very tight clearance.

By the pic you posted, it appears that there might be some refrigerant oil in the area of the receiver drier.....you could have a leak (could just be the lighting)....might make sure those fittings are tight.
                          Last edited by 02fanatic; 07-18-2010, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X