Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

e36M3 control arms on an e30 M3

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by MichaelM3 View Post
    I wish I would have researched this a few days ago. I just bought stock CA's to replace the cheap Meyle's that the previous owner installed. I guess I'll order the 95 CA's instead. I currently have the problem with my wheel not centered in the wheel well and I would love to solve that issue. Thanks Lee for taking the time to post that picture.
    Why is everybody thinking the wheel is not sitting "centred" in the wheel well.
    Do you think BMW engineers had a few beers too much when designing the car??

    Do not confuse running out of room with "not centered and that's why it rubs", with running the wrong tyre size.

    the fender cut out is exactly where is needs to be. the suspension sits on an angle and the wheel is turning/sticking out of the fender differently when you turn the steering wheel. All BMW did was to cut the fender to suit and not centered when the wheel is pointing straight. what's wrong with that?

    What is wrong with standard M3 control arms?

    and for all you who want to increase castor, can you please educate me what are your reasons are? Is there a handling problem which makes the car bad to drive?

    PS @Yan, did you feel I need to change anything on my setup when we drove round the Nuerburgring?? That was with stock control arms BTW. Just poly bushed

    PSS Mark , rub on the front --> No metal. There is a quite a solid piece of metal behind the plastic cover which needs to be cut down if you want to clear 235/40


    Goodbye M3, you served me well.

    Comment


    • #17
      Not that i could feel/tell Uwe, but my reason for even thinking about it is really the caster being the way it is now. here is how my front wheel sits in the car as is with 215/40/17s, and im afraid that when i go back to 235s its gonna rub even worse.



      I highlighted the open space in front of the wheel, and keep in mind this is while driving on the highway at 50-60ish MPH
      School me Uwe. Thanks man.
      Last edited by Yan-3; 07-09-2010, 12:55 AM.

      ***
      A special thank you to:
      archie, chutrain, carfantiti, ///M3 Terr, Jake, G2NY, Justin(OKC), Andyman746, dllance, NameIsStanley, JP, Speedvill, blyguy, MTLALEX, ///M0F01SD, Tom64, GK-E30M3, L James, ///CRISS, Das Boots, e30polak, DrWillb, Cactusjacks1, E30terry, S14E30M3 and all the S14 members who have showed support and contacted me.

      Comment


      • #18
        UweM3,

        Relax. I'm well aware that it was designed properly for the stock wheel and tire sizes. However, I'm running e28 M5 wheels with 225/45/16 tires (very common upgrade). Under the rare occurrence when I hit a bump that completely bottoms out my front suspension, the center of the tire tread rubs the inner fender lining ever so slightly. If I can have an extra 15-20mm of clearance and at the same time, improve the look of the car from the side profile with a simple fix like control arms, then it sounds like a solution to my problem.

        Comment


        • #19
          Why is everybody thinking the wheel is not sitting "centred" in the wheel well.
          Do you think BMW engineers had a few beers too much when designing the car??
          +1 with Uwe.

          Most rubbing problems arise when the wheel offset is decreased to a value the suspension was not designed for (aside from excessive lowering).

          BTW, the forward shift of the bearing on the E36M3 3.2 wishbones (relative to stoch E30) is more like 12mm.

          Thomas
          Last edited by TR-Spider; 07-09-2010, 11:36 AM.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #20
            didn't we do all this years ago...

            http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...rol+arm&page=2

            Comment


            • #21
              this is nothing new. currently i have e30 arms and offset bushings, but will shortly put on the 96+ e36 m3 arms and centered bushings i have. i too run 235/40R17's and agree in this format i have some rubbing at the rear

              i'm not sold on running the 96+ arm geometry w/ offset bushings but am aware people do it. it does give you a ton of caster
              James
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #22
                I am running the 96+ E36 arms with centered bearings, mainly because I liked the design of the UUC "ultimate" front control arm bushings, and they are only available in a "non-offset" design.

                I also wanted steel control arms, because they are much cheaper, I presume stiffer?, and not much heavier. The aluminum ones are sexier I suppose, but dang they are expensive.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Is there any adjustable top mounts where you can reduce castor angle to regain stock castor, but increase clearance?

                  Steve
                  Sport Evo No.47

                  My Sport Evo Restoration

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by MichaelM3 View Post
                    UweM3,

                    Relax. I'm well aware that it was designed properly for the stock wheel and tire sizes. However, I'm running e28 M5 wheels with 225/45/16 tires (very common upgrade). Under the rare occurrence when I hit a bump that completely bottoms out my front suspension, the center of the tire tread rubs the inner fender lining ever so slightly. If I can have an extra 15-20mm of clearance and at the same time, improve the look of the car from the side profile with a simple fix like control arms, then it sounds like a solution to my problem.
                    wrong again. This has NOTHING to do with the control arms. You are running out of suspension travel. 225/45/16 is the perfect size for the M3. regardless of wheel offset.
                    I am running the same size on my 8x16 ET15 track wheels with NO rubbing whatsover.
                    But I am running spring with 680lbs front AND I have removed the plastic liner AND I have folded the edge of sheet metal right above the centre of the wheel.

                    --either your car is lowered too much
                    -- or your springs are too soft

                    nothing to do with "relax", it's just an issue coming up over and over again people claiming "oh my wheel isn't in the centre" not realising they just run the WRONG tyre size/offset/suspension and try to fix a problem they shouldn't have in the first place.

                    As much as I like 235/40/17 myself, it's not going to fit without making ROOM in the wheel housing and NOT fiddling with the geometry.

                    just my 2p and rant over :shit:

                    don't repair it if it works......[peace]


                    Goodbye M3, you served me well.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      It would be nice to see a picture from somebody using 96+ arms..:peekaboo:

                      I want to move my wheel forward.. Just hate it how it looks now..:shit:
                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by UweM3 View Post
                        As much as I like 235/40/17 myself, it's not going to fit without making ROOM in the wheel housing and NOT fiddling with the geometry.
                        I mostly agree Uwe. The 16" tires would have suited me perfectly. BUT...after searching the tire retailers, so few tires are available in 16" that alone made me decide not to go that way. So 16" tires are limited by selection, 15" would not fit over my brakes, which left 17".

                        I am running 235/40/17 with no rubbing, and I have all fender liners installed, but it took some doing to get there. The key is steering rack stops, like the ones TMS sells. These of course slightly increase minimum turning radius, but on a track/toy car that is no drawback whatsoever. I can still make a clean "U" turn at a traffic light....

                        Couple the rack stops with an offset of roughly ET 23-25, and 235/40/17 will fit with no rubbing and no geometry change.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
                          I mostly agree Uwe. The 16" tires would have suited me perfectly. BUT...after searching the tire retailers, so few tires are available in 16" that alone made me decide not to go that way. So 16" tires are limited by selection, 15" would not fit over my brakes, which left 17".

                          I am running 235/40/17 with no rubbing, and I have all fender liners installed, but it took some doing to get there. The key is steering rack stops, like the ones TMS sells. These of course slightly increase minimum turning radius, but on a track/toy car that is no drawback whatsoever. I can still make a clean "U" turn at a traffic light....

                          Couple the rack stops with an offset of roughly ET 23-25, and 235/40/17 will fit with no rubbing and no geometry change.
                          I can agree with this, if there is not enough room for the tyre limit the movement.

                          What I don't understand is the need to mess with a good working geometry just because "I don't like the look of how my wheel sits in the fender". Each to their own but it winds me up if the M3 is converted into a "to fast to furious" car. All show and no go.

                          My wheel sits perfectly in the middle of the fender! But how does it handle? Ermm, no idea what you are talking about.

                          I know I sound harsh. [peace]


                          Goodbye M3, you served me well.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I thought E36 owners fitted E30 front control arms as an upgrade...
                            Sterling M3 project..

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Umm how about this... (rather him than me I think)

                              http://e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73883

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by UK215M3 View Post
                                Umm how about this... (rather him than me I think)

                                http://e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73883

                                that send sivers down my spine to honest. Especially the lollipop!


                                Goodbye M3, you served me well.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X