building a 2.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building a 2.3

Frist off i'm building a new 2.3L for my 88'. I want to know what mods you guys would do to a 2.3 if you where building a brand new one.

Would you build it with the Alpha N system with CF air box or leave that stock. And what are the benifts for that set up. what would be a good list of mods for this engine
    Thanx Morgan

Search engine is your best friend and read the top topics.

The best gain is getting rid of that AFM that you have and replace it with a 'alpha n' system. MAF is also good but people have not praised a lot about the system. You don't need the CF air box, it's just a nice thing to have (or to show). Some people have talked that it does add power, while others state that it does not.

Building a 2.3L is fun.
    Cams
    Pistons
    Rods
    Alpha N
    Head Work
    EVO or Rally Headers
    Bigger injectors

Some people will agree that getting the 2.3L crank knifed is not the best way to spend the money on the car, I believe Jeff J posted this thought since he had it done (either on his car, or on his father's car)

This of course also depends on how far you want to go when building the 2.3l? You can have a peppy 2.3L by doing cams and alpha n. Some people put down (on 100k mile engines) 190hp to the ground, I believe Barry Robinson (reelizmpro) has that number and some others are near that.

Another thing to add is that some people will recommend building a 2.5L, for the costs, you might want to go this way, you might not. My father and I had a 2.5L built by Pete McHenry and it's quite nice. I think that I will keep the other one a 2.3L but with bigger cams and alpha n.

Don't forget another option of building a 2.0L.
    Last edited by Bavarian3; 03-01-2004, 03:17 PM.

Comment

O' I know my friend is the seach engine right now and has been for about 2 weeks planing my new engine. I don't really want a 2.5, I know that would be the easiest way to hit 200whp. thats my goal. by the way. I would rather have a 2.3 Liter for some reason.
      So what do you guys think I would have to do to reach my goal of a 200rwhp 2.3L

and what about 225 rwhp range, what would that take
      Last edited by Morgan; 03-01-2004, 03:39 PM.

Comment

225rwhp on a 2.3L....this setup MIGHT get you there..

Let me make this statment, and I hope I don't get killed by the S14 gods....

48mm tbs
        Head Work (Stage III and above)
        Bigger Vavles (M5)
        292 cams intake and exhaust
        Vavle springs (not stock)
        Motorsport header
        3" exhaust
        Alpha N
        Iigomotiv Chip
        Bigger Injectors
        Higher Compression
        Forged Pistons

Lets see what everyone else thinks...
        Last edited by Bavarian3; 03-01-2004, 03:47 PM.

Comment

All the parts bavm3 mentioned will get you a really high strung 2.3, however the 48 TB's, header, and headwork alone will set you back between 3-5k EASY. you can get the same kind of HP and much more torque for that money doing the 2.5 with room to grow. But if you have your heart set on a high strung 2.3, get your checkbook out

The Chuck giveth, and the Chuck taketh away

Comment

I was at 200whp with just 284/276 cams and MAXX Alpha N with 120k. Since I have ported, 48mm throttles, CF airbox......etc. Can't wait to get all of these little projects out of the way and get her tuned on a peggable dyno. I hoping for a huge area under gain with the right tuning.

Then the switch to MS cams

Then LENZ

Then CR tranny

Then diff

Then.........BOOM!.......by by 2.3l

Hello 2.6l

T

Comment

If you're building a 2.3, definately open the intake/exhaust up to let it breathe better. Since the head's off, get a performance valve/port job, get at least 284/276 cams, perhaps some 48mm throttlebodies but definately go Alpha N or MAF. Are you replacing the pistons? With the stock pistons/compression it would take some radical cams to make 225rwhp. On my engine I still had the stock early style intake gaskets (318) too which have smaller ports than the later style (319). I believe the 319's are all that's available now so that's another improvement that should be noted. I'm making 209rwhp last time I dyno'd and I basically have the above mods (+grpA 2pc header) minus the headwork.

For comparison, somebody got 200rwhp from a 2.3 with just 284/276 cams and adjustable cam gears, which I find hard to believe but that's the story. His engine must be very strong.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
              85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
              91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

I'm just curious, but why are you sticking with 2.3?

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago and the general consensus was to go 2.5...

Cheers.
                1988 M3
                2012 335is
                1993 Civic Si

Comment

I was planning on Wiseco forged pistons, Puuter rods. I like the thought of 2.3. I know the 2.5L would be a better way of going but my car didn't come with the evo 3 engine. So I don't wanna put one in it. Fact of the matter I want to keep the original size. Mine came that way, So thats the way it stays. But then I know; Why am I doing the mods? I still want a little more.

Any info on parts that help better than others I would apprecciate the info.

Thanks Morgan

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan
                    I was planning on Wiseco forged pistons, Puuter rods. I like the thought of 2.3. I know the 2.5L would be a better way of going but my car didn't come with the evo 3 engine. So I don't wanna put one in it. Fact of the matter I want to keep the original size. Mine came that way, So thats the way it stays. But then I know; Why am I doing the mods? I still want a little more.

Any info on parts that help better than others I would apprecciate the info.

Thanks Morgan
                    Cams and Alpha N/MAF...no doubt.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

First and foremost; my goal is not to loose any power anywhere; period. I want a noticeable gain to start at 3K. BTW, I am in CA with weak-a$$ gasoline that cost too much…

Okay... I am in the same target as you are but my reason is that my 2.3L only has 48,000 miles on it. Here is what I have so far;
                      1 - LENZ
                      2 - 48mm TBs
                      3 - CF Intake plenum
                      4 - EVOIII Injectors
                      5 – 284/276 (yet to be finalized)
                      6 – Adjustable Cam Gears (?)

Now, I am wondering how much I would gain by porting the cylinder head to properly match the 48mm TBs.

I've read that Barry is running genuine 48mm TBs *without* any form of porting to the cylinder head. I can’t wait to know more about his car!

Please give advice… TIA

2nd Edit: I haven't install any of the above parts yet!
                      Last edited by ///Mous3; 07-20-2005, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Morgan,
                        I have a few 2.3s (well 5),,, Right now I have one of my spares at Don Fields being built up.
                        My whole thought is lots of laps and laughs per dollar.
                        We are going light and balanced, still keeping the rev limit relatively low (under 7800) so it lives a long happy life.
                        I have no aspirations to build any 2.5s,,, the 2.3s rev nice, they last, not quite as much power but good enough for me.
                        There is nothing more than a $5 plastic trophy at the end of the day anyway.

What I am doing on mine (I'll be building 2 or 3 of these exactly the same so they are interchangeable as spares).
                        Pauter Rods
                        11.1 Compression
                        Balance the living piss out of it.
                        Stock valves
                        46 MM throttles
                        A good porting & port matching, but nothing overly large that will put it so we have to rev it to 8000 RPMs to get at the power.
                        "Probably" 290 cams,,, still thinking on this...
                        A-n
                        Probably stay with stock sized header.
                        Light flywheel

The power will be what it is, I have no magic target in mind, but given comparisons to my current engine,,, that will be more power and live a long while.

The pauter rods were not necessary but once I ran the numbers on doing a real good lighten, balance, polish and rebuild of my stock rods, the pauters were not very much more so I went for it. I can recoup some of the cost by selling my stockers as well so the net will not be that bad.

Thats the recipe I am working on, basically an evo 2 on some small steroids.
                        Hope this helps lend a little balance to the various recipes.
                        I really believe a little moderation and long life,,, is better than a little more power and less life.

Cheers
                        jimmy p.
                        jimmy p.
                        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                        92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                        98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                        04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Jimmy, what brand of pistons are you using and why did you pick that brand? Are you doing 290 cams on both sides? Any thoughts on the 292 / 284 combo? Why didn't you go with larger intake valves? Thanks.

Originally posted by jimmy p.
                          Morgan,
                          I have a few 2.3s (well 5),,, Right now I have one of my spares at Don Fields being built up.
                          My whole thought is lots of laps and laughs per dollar.
                          We are going light and balanced, still keeping the rev limit relatively low (under 7800) so it lives a long happy life.
                          I have no aspirations to build any 2.5s,,, the 2.3s rev nice, they last, not quite as much power but good enough for me.
                          There is nothing more than a $5 plastic trophy at the end of the day anyway.

What I am doing on mine (I'll be building 2 or 3 of these exactly the same so they are interchangeable as spares).
                          Pauter Rods
                          11.1 Compression
                          Balance the living piss out of it.
                          Stock valves
                          46 MM throttles
                          A good porting & port matching, but nothing overly large that will put it so we have to rev it to 8000 RPMs to get at the power.
                          "Probably" 290 cams,,, still thinking on this...
                          A-n
                          Probably stay with stock sized header.
                          Light flywheel

The power will be what it is, I have no magic target in mind, but given comparisons to my current engine,,, that will be more power and live a long while.

The pauter rods were not necessary but once I ran the numbers on doing a real good lighten, balance, polish and rebuild of my stock rods, the pauters were not very much more so I went for it. I can recoup some of the cost by selling my stockers as well so the net will not be that bad.

Thats the recipe I am working on, basically an evo 2 on some small steroids.
                          Hope this helps lend a little balance to the various recipes.
                          I really believe a little moderation and long life,,, is better than a little more power and less life.

Cheers
                          jimmy p.

Comment

Search

i go away for a week and this is what happens

Comment

Originally posted by ADA///M
                              Search

i go away for a week and this is what happens

people giving real answers to questions? what a concept! :idea:

:yeah:
                              James
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X