Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another car wont start thread

Have searched and diagnosed per many threads

Driving down the freeway and the car went dead but had all listed below. coasted to a stop and would not start back up.

Main relay works
    Fuses good
    Good battery
    Good fuel pressure
    Instrument panel works
    Ecu looks good,but have not used magnifying glass

No volts to:
    coil
    afr gauge
    oil pressure gauge

What am I missing to check?
    Last edited by temple; 08-07-2010, 02:02 PM.

It would be useful to find out what power source those aftermarket gauges are tapped into.

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Check first if your batteries are being charged by the alternator. Even though you stated that they were good. At least 13.4 VDC on idle. If not, then you must have been running on your batteries until they went blink without being re-charged.
      Lawrence

BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742
      '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen
      '09 540i Touring 6 Spd - Son's DD
      '03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD
      '03 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - My DD & Range truck
      '05 330i ZHP 6 Spd - Alternate DD
      '15 Honda Pilot - Daughter's & Grandkids Hauler

Comment

Afr is connected to the ecu, ecu ground and a main relay wire.

Oil pressure gauge is wired to ecu and of course the oil pressure regulator.

What are your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by temple View Post

What are your thoughts?
          Aftermarket ECU?

I would make sure that the coil is fine by testing the primary and secondary circuits for spec resistance.

m

Comment

no volts to the coil? Power to the coil comes from the ignition switch and through the code alarm relay

Comment

No power to the coil. The ICV doesn't buzz. OBC is good.

" Power to the coil comes from the ignition switch and through the code alarm relay " wher is the code alarm relay. I was checking out the OBC and fiddling with the wires and got power. Went to grab another car to fire it up and it went back to no power.the OBC looked fine. I am not near a computer but using the phone. Does anyone know the wire the wire that would cause the "no start" from the ignition and code relay.

Much appreciated!

Comment

I bipasses the OBC(that looked fine visually) and got voltage to the everything but she still is starting. Any thoughts?

Comment

Make sure your plugs aren't fouled.

Comment

Plugs Not fouled. Coil has voltage but is not firing now.

Comment

Originally posted by temple View Post

What are your thoughts?
                      Ok lets clarify a few things. You are saying that your gauges are powered by the +12V coming off the main relay and grounded at the same location as the ECU? Isn't that your answer right there?

Also, what is an oil pressure regulator? Oil pressure is regulated by a bypass valve in your oil pump so I am not sure I follow.

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Your coil not firing and ICV not buzzing sounds like your ecu
                        might not be getting a crank signal to tell it the engine is turning over.
                        Have you an aftermarket or standard ecu?

Comment

Standard ecu.

Comment

Primary ohms 1.1
                            Secondary 7500 ohms

Comment

Quote: Originally Posted by HANDBLT 1. Pull the connector off of the ECU.2. Remove the little screw on the end of the connector.3. slide the cover off of the connector4. plug the connector back in.5. grab the dvm and set it on continuity.6. put one probe to ground and the other on PIN#17. crank over the car.8. see if PIN#1 is sending the ground signal to the coil.9. if yes continue, if no get another ECU.10. turn the key to the #2 pos.11. check to see that the coil has +12V on terminal 15.12. if yes then continue, if no find out why no +12 to coil.13. crank over the car again, see if you are getting the ground signal from the ECU on terminal #1 of the coil.14. if yes check the coil's primary and secondary resistances to what it says in the bentley book.15. if the primary and secondary check out check the continuity of the coil wire.16. if it is good check the cont of the plug wires.17. if these are good then you should have spark on all four plug wires.Do all of this to eliminate the ignition side of the prob.let us know if this all checks out, then we will move onto fuel.T

So I followed handblt's thread and everything checked out except the voltage at start up. When a get a car jump, the voltages drops from 12.5 to 8 in seconds. You would think it would fire right up when jumped by a car. Would a dead battery, while being jumped, still not fire up the car? Or am I missing something?

Comment

Working...
                              X