Is this overkill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this overkill?

I'm thinking about getting an SBI oil pan and the uprated oil cooler from iigomotiv. My car is not a daily driver but its not quite the track only car I'd like it to be. So my question is, are these two items overkill for a car that doesn't see a ton of track use?
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Steve88M3; 03-03-2004, 08:20 AM.
    1988 BMW M3
    1993 BMW 325i
    2017 Bentley GT Speed

no, not really over kill. how many track days do you do, steve? i know it gets super hot on some of the tracks here around us, so the cooler isnt a bad idea. the oil pan, i dont know if you really need it, but its also not a bad idea. these are pretty much safety nets for your car.
    "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
    "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
    onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

The use of my car is similar, and I would definitely have gone with the large oil pan, except I am reluctant to give up the AC.

I don't think it's overkill.

Comment

Yeah, this car is driven on the street maybe once a week. I'm contemplating even getting motorsport insurance since its really the only time the car is driven...

I'm going to get these things. Maybe I'll even do a writeup for the site.

Cheers.
        1988 BMW M3
        1993 BMW 325i
        2017 Bentley GT Speed

Comment

That iigimotive oil coller is expensive. Can you just buy any after market oil cooler of similar size and buy the russel lines seperately. It would save a lot of money. It is what i was thinking of doing. Is this not a good thing to do?

Comment

Steve,

What about the E28 M5 oil cooler? It's a cheap upgrade.

Comment

See, thats why I love this board. I'll look into that Mike, thanks!
              1988 BMW M3
              1993 BMW 325i
              2017 Bentley GT Speed

Comment

Originally posted by Bavarian3
                Steve,

What about the E28 M5 oil cooler? It's a cheap upgrade.
                The oil cooler in our kit *is* an E28 M5 oil cooler. Why is our kit "expensive"? We use Earl's and XRP top-of-the-line line and fittings. We use correct adapters for the oil cooler (its not just a simple thread adaptation -- there are seating issues involved). We include custom mounting brackets (the E28 mounts are positioned differently) and all the required hardware. All of our lines are pressure tested.

The E28 M5 cooler is not a simple bolt-on swap (the passenger-side line won't fit, and the mounting tabs are different). I wish it was.
                Jefrem Iwaniw

Comment

Well there you go. That is why I love this board too! Thanks for the info Jefrem!

Comment

Wonderful. I have no problem paying for the best.

Jefrem, you'll be hearing from me shortly.
                    1988 BMW M3
                    1993 BMW 325i
                    2017 Bentley GT Speed

Comment

So guys what are all the oil cooler choices that we have for an upgrade. Links would be appreciated. I myself am looking for and upgrade but not too sure about it yet.
                      Finnally Powered by my ///M3
                      1990 E30 M3
                      1973 M2

Comment

Engine safety is never over kill!

I changed out my oil pan this winter to a Kulp motorsport piece. I really like it, but you can't have AC with it. This thing is BIG!!!

Yes it is really BIG, and the baffles are really big and use nice hinges not a rubber flap.

Do not click
                        At least it's German

Comment

Wow, that is massive.

Thats what I was thinking, another layer of protection the better.

I chose the SBI based on price and the fact that Adam and everyone over there seems to be running a really good shop.
                          1988 BMW M3
                          1993 BMW 325i
                          2017 Bentley GT Speed

Comment

The Kulp pan is a very nice piece. The SBI also uses hinged baffle rather than a rubber flapper, and our version 2 of the pan that we just had made includes the Evo style top baffle like the Kulp pan as well.

Ours just isn't as pretty to look at. But for almost half the price you can't argue with looks much, can ya?

Comment

SPA Technique oil coolers are available from CDOC's website for only a couple hundred bucks. There are various sizes, so you can select one that is not too large for your motor. Too much oil cooling will hurt the motor and lose horsepower.
                              Alex McHenry

Comment

Working...
                              X