Rear Trailing arm movement.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Trailing arm movement.......

My urethane ta bushes just fall right into the ta's and once they are on the subframe and tightened up there is about 3/16" of lateral movement on the bushes. Is this correct? Should the ta's be able to slide from side to side 1/8"-3/16"?

Let me know quick I'm ready to install this puppy.

Tony

That doesnt sound right to me. Did you notice that movement before you removed them?

Comment

I believe they have not been installed properly. The urethane bushing is a cylinder with a thicker big end. On the inside mount, the bigger end should be toward the center of the car, and on the outside mount, it should be toward the outside. I think that the 3/16 you mentionned, is about the thickness of the big end of those bushings...

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
      1989 M3 racecar
      e39 Touring

Comment

I have the bushes in correctly, when the TA is mounted and tighened you can still slide the TA from side to side at least 1/8". I went back out and looked again and it looks more like 1/8 than 3/16 but they (both sides equally) do slide side to side.

Doesn't matter right now anyway. The whole rear end is back together and in the car.

I was really sweating putting the halfshafts back in with everybody always having huge trouble getting these out and in. First of all they nearly fell right out of the hubs when I was removing them, then on install they fell right in again. I love my car.

Now I'm just waiting on all the parking brake pieces to come in and I'll be cruising.

Tony

Comment

It may not matter now, but be sure to tighten your seat belts before you make your first turn when you get it all back together!!
          Ron
          PS: And always remember to empty your bladder before going out on the track...
          Last edited by rongineer; 03-04-2004, 07:41 PM.

Comment

It may not matter now, but be sure to tighten your seat belts before you make your first turn when you get it all back together!!
            Ron

Comment

Originally posted by HANDBLT

Doesn't matter right now anyway. The whole rear end is back together and in the car.

Tony
              Man something about this makes me very nervous. Any unwanted suspension movement is a bad thing especially when you are talking about 1/8th of an inch of slop. Besides you negate any gains you got from the Urethane in the first place if everything is loose.

Ask around or call the bushing manufacturer before you put her back on the street just to be sure. Thats the safe bet anyway.

Comment

Yah, that's a bit nerve racking to me too. The metal bushing should be the same length as the urethane portion. Assuming the mounting ears are properly pinching the bushing there really shouldn't be any lateral movement. Very odd. The TA isn't sliding laterally on the urethane is it? Like as if the OD of the urethane bushing is under sized? Hmmm....

Jake Larsen

Comment

Originally posted by Jake
                  The TA isn't sliding laterally on the urethane is it? Like as if the OD of the urethane bushing is under sized? Hmmm....

Jake Larsen
                  The urethane and metal tube are the same length. Yes the TA's can move side to side on the urethane bushes about 1/8". This was only when I just had the subframe on the ground with just the TA'a attached. Once it was in the car the subframe bolts tweaked the subframe enough to remove this space.

Tony

Comment

Tony,

I've run across this same problem before. My solution is to make a spacer out of UHMW or Delrin that will virtually eliminate the play. The spacers are very easy to make by simply using hole saws to cut the OD and ID holes from 1/8" sheet.

///Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X