Anyone have a Euro Car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a Euro Car?

I may have the opportunity later this week to pick one up, and I was just curious if there are any inherent disadvantages...its not that I have been specifically searching for a euro car, but a friend of a friend happens to be selling his, I feel more comfortable with "social" transactions, rather than complete strangers.

Anyway, i know that it will have the "dog leg" tranny with a shorter FD, which is fine. I also know it may or may not have cats, which is fine too because now that the car is old enough, i shouldn't have too tough a time inspecting it. Other than this, and the standard e30 m3 items, is there any other downside? Resale???

Thanks.

I dont consider there to be any downsides to owning a Euro spec car- I owned one and liked all of the extra stuff it had: headlights w/ city lights,rear head rest back seat, auxillary gas tank in the trunk, dogleg box w/ 3:25. If anytihng I would consider resale to be better than a US spec. because of some of the hard to get items.
    Charley Terhune
    89 Zinno M3- stock 90k miles
    89 Zinno M3- 2.5 etc. etc.

Comment

gas tank in the trunk? i never knew, any pics?

Seats Taken...No one rides for free...:burnbaby:

Comment

I bought a euro with a mid '86 build date that was brought to the US in 5/87 and titled as a '87. If the car does not have a cat and O2 sensor and, it needs to pass emission testing, plan on doing a little bit of work to get it to pass. My car did not have the emissions equipment when I bought it in November of '03. Some have said that a well tuned M3 will pass emissions, but, this has not been the case here in Missouri.

When the car was imported and federalized the importer installed what is known as a "Johnson Box" to help with the emissions. A simplified explanation of the "Johnson Box" is that it imitates the O2 sensor by using the coolant temperature sensor output. I am still in the process of converting the wiring for the DME to use the O2 sensor input and run in closed loop. Matter of fact, this weekend I was able to re-install the exhaust with the new cat and O2 sensor and do some A/F ratio testing (but, don't have it talking to the DME yet). I found that I am running extremely rich. I have already done a lot of the normal tune-up tasks, but, it is still running rich. The next step is to open the AFM (which appears to have been tampered with already) and change the A/F ratio there.

The car is more of a toy to me and I knew what I was getting when I bought the car, so I was able to negotiate a good price. But, if you do not like to tinker with it (which I do), it may require more work than you think. I'd have it emissions tested before the purchase, just in case. HTH

Damon in STL
        Damon in STL
        '99 e39 540 Sport 6spd (DD), '88 e30 M3 - GTS2 #72 - Motorcraft Ignition, Volvo Injectors, Thrush Turbo Muffler, Open Source ECU, Aerospace Connectors, Lowes' Polycarbonate, Alumacore Front Splitter and Rear Diffuser, Racer's Tape.

Comment

A small bonus could be that if it's a late spec Euro car ( post September 1990 ) it will be a 215BHP car rather than the US 195 BHP , which means you have the dog-leg box , 48mm throttle bodies , late spec head and cams and a few other bits.
          This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

Working...
          X