A/c Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/c Pump

The a/c pump was seized on my sport evo when i got it, so when i had the car serviced i got them to remove it, I've just looked at it and found the pulley bearing seized, hopefully an easy fix as soon as i get the bearing, the question i need you guys to answer is should there be oil in the pump and what is the screw in plug on the side which has two wires connected to it, i thought it was a temperature cut-out plug, but I've warmed it up and cooled it down and it doesn't seem to change state, with a meter on the two wires.

thanx, steve.

Yes there should be oil in the compressor.

You're correct, that's an compressor overheat switch. It's set to shut off the compressor when it detects a temp of 150 deg Celcius.

Comment

Am I correct in thinking then as long as I don't split the pump itself I shouldn't loose any oil?

Comment

You should purge all the old oil from the system when you remove the compressor anyways. This way you can just add new stuff in when you inject more freon. Besides if you have any metal/debris floating around in the system from the old bearing this will remove it rather than putting the shavings into the new bearing.

Comment

The pulley bearing is on the outside of the compressor so doesn't touch the oil, is this best left to an a/c guy when i have the system re-charged.

Comment

Steve, PM youe e-mail address and I'll send you the factory procedure for this repair.

Comment

Colin,

Could you also email the procedure to delliott00(at)excite(dot) com? I'm about to undertake the same project.

Thanks!

-Dave
              '89 M3

Comment

Wow, this is proving to be a popular procedure

Dave, check your e-mail.

Comment

Hey Colin why don't you just Post the procedure so we all see it.

Comment

I'd be happy to, but I don't have the ability to add pics to my gallery on this site. I can send it to somebody if they'd like to host it.

Comment

I said replacing the bearing would be an easy job, It would be if I could get hold of the bearing, rang several companies without any luck, seems a waste to ditch the compressor for the sake of a bearing that costs a few quid, have been offered other pumps off cars of similar age, but the chance is that the bearing could be shot on these, back to square one, wondering if any of you guys have contacts in the bearing trade, would be worth the shipping costs against price of new pump, the bearing is NSK 30BD40DU, size of the bearing is, 30mm ID, 55mm OD, 23mm wide, It's a double row ball bearing.

Thanx, Steve.

Comment

Good news, got a bearing, about 20, rang main dealers and a repair kit for the pump is over 200, worth trying a new bearing first I think.

Comment

Steve1

How did you remove the pulley assembly from the compressor housing? Did you have/buy the BMW special tool, or did you manage to make something suitable?
                          Steve
                          Scottish Cecotto

Comment

steveM, I'm lucky that being in the engineering trade I have access to pullers and tools that make it easy to do this sort of job, but you can clamp the clutch unit in a vice and undo the retaining bolt then lever the pulley off, easier if you have someone to help you as the pump itself is quite heavy, you then have to knock the old bearing out and press the new one in, compared to the price of a new unit or repair kit from bmw ( 225 ) you could even take it to your local garage and get them to fit a new bearing for you.

Comment

Cheers - the problem is it's still fitted in the car! I'm assuming you don't loose the refrigerant as I'm only going to be removing the pulley to change out the bearing.
                              I've got a whole raft of different pullers, but not the correct type that screws-in to the pulley. Removing the bearing shouldn't be an issue either.
                              Steve
                              Scottish Cecotto

Comment

Working...
                              X