No announcement yet.

She sounds like a Subaru?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did a cold run start and test this morning... lets add the throttle body gaskets to the mix. If a spray some good old carb clean on the #1 runner then I can almost stall her. I noticed similar behavior on cylinder #3 and a liitle bit on #4.

I am making the parts list in case the compression numbers are good.:gotcha:

Comment

Originally posted by t13vom View Post
      The spark plug wire deal is a valid point too. With my plug bracket unbolted, changing plugs in and out, I noticed a ever so slight arc from time to time from the bracket to the stud on the valve cover.
      Your answer is right here. You have a bad spark plug wire (at least). Properly insulated wires should not arc. This is a long-acknowledged problem with the S14 wire harness: it makes things look tidy but it will eventually result in wires rubbing through their insulation because the engine is so buzzy.

I'd suggest replacing the expensive wires and using a routing/mounting solution like those that are sold in the FS section. I cannot remember who is selling them now, but maybe it was RWarren? I think Gustave Stroes pioneered them.

I'm using a set myself, just because this is a pretty common problem with our cars.
      Last edited by ColinM; 10-23-2010, 03:56 PM.

Comment

For the sake of posterity.... and the search function....

Have you figured out what it was/solution yet?

aside: would love to see the face of a Subie owner when this thread shows up in a Google search

Andy

Comment

No real update folks... Plug wires are not the problem. I had an extra set to swap in. I pulled the injectors, have my Turner Throttle Body gasket repair kit in the mail and still need to run the old compression test. I have to pick up a new compression guage. Mine no longer functional. Will post up as I trouble shoot her.

Comment

Good luck. I think I may actually have 2 compression gauges around here somewhere if you like.. I can also bring the WRX to test your theory
            Bry

Comment

LOL!!! Thanks! They are cheap I need a new one anyway!!!

Comment

The Verdict

Well folks #4 cylinder is spent. I finally did the "truth serum"...

Cylinder #1 - 185 PSI
                Cylinder #2 - 200 PSI
                Cylinder #3 - 150 PSI (uhh ohhh...)
                Cylinder #4 - ... fluttered the gauge at a whopping 0 PSI

My guess-estimation at this point is one crispy valve at least. I was wrong earlier she has 257K on the clock... She did well... Now I have to decide which direction I will be going with her.

If I go full resto i will not add up my receipts and I will be settling in for a probable mutli year build.

Not sure if she will make the 25th year celebration... But I will. Thanks for all of the input.

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks for keeping us informed

Sorry to hear that the outcome sucks.

At least when you get done, you will have another 200k odd miles at your disposal>

Andy

Comment

Aw man... :cry:

Really sorry to hear that.. but 257k is a good life. Wherever you go from here, Im sure she's in good hands.
                    Last edited by sirrus; 10-27-2010, 01:21 PM.
                    Bry

Comment

Working...
                    X